* [9fans] fyi: plan9 book!
@ 2000-08-03 15:54 ozan s. yigit
From: ozan s. yigit @ 2000-08-03 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'm surprised to find that there is a plan9 book, appears
to be only in german.

	Plan 9
	Bischof, Imeyer, Khl, Schreiner
	1999, Hanser, Munich
	ISBN 3-446-18881-9.

[came across in http://www.inf.uos.de/axel/]

oz
---
calvin: As my artist's statement explains, my work is utterly
incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.
hobbes:  You misspelled "Weltanschauung."

* Re: [9fans] fyi: plan9 book!
@ 2000-08-04  9:22 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-08-04  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i'm surprised to find that there is a plan9 book, appears
> to be only in german.

berny goodheart trif to talk me to co-authoring a plan 9
book in '94 or so ('course i'd ben blabbering away about
plan 9) but i declined 'cos i felt i didn't have sufficient
knowledge to do it and there were/are others in a much better
position than me to do it right.

* Re: [9fans] fyi: plan9 book!
@ 2000-08-04 15:17 ` ozan s. yigit
From: ozan s. yigit @ 2000-08-04 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

there were also infrequent mentions of a labs-authored book on plan9.
i hope it happens some day. it would be a much welcomed antidote to the
nauseating crop of "OS design in a nutshell" and "linux kernel hacking
for complete idiots" type "technical" books.

oz
---
this year's best reading: Michalewics and Fogel: How To Solve It: Modern
Huristics. includes Lin-Kernighan algorithm for TSP.

* [9fans] Modern Heuristics.
@ 2000-08-07  8:44   ` Ralph Corderoy
From: Ralph Corderoy @ 2000-08-07  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

> this year's best reading: Michalewics and Fogel: How To Solve It:
> Modern Huristics. includes Lin-Kernighan algorithm for TSP.

For those that thought the book sounded interesting and went looking
for it, it is called _How To Solve It: Modern Heuristics_;  note the
`e' in `Heuristics'.  ISBN 3-540-66061-5.

Brian Kernighan has a scanned copy of _An Effective Heuristic Algorithm
for the Travelling-Salesman Problem_ available at
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/bwk/index.html.

Ralph.