* [9fans] compress and pack
@ 2000-08-08  5:35 Doug Henderson
From: Doug Henderson @ 2000-08-08  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Plan9 3rd edition includes a man page for compress and pack - but no
executables (or sources). Is this an oversight or licensing, or ...? There
are still .Z files on the net, and I have an accumulation of them from way
back. Are plan9 versions available, or will I need to convert some source?

* Re: [9fans] compress and pack
@ 2000-08-08  8:52 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2000-08-08  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Doug Henderson wrote:

> Plan9 3rd edition includes a man page for compress and pack - but no
> executables (or sources). Is this an oversight or licensing, or ...? There
> are still .Z files on the net, and I have an accumulation of them from way
> back. Are plan9 versions available, or will I need to convert some source?

compress(1)'ed files can be uncompressed by gunzip, you cannot create
'.Z's but
gzip usually (always ?) gives much better compression and is as widely
used these days as compress used to be; the newer packages bzip2 &
bunzip2
seem not to be backwards compatable .

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] compress and pack
@ 2000-08-08  9:34 ` Ralph Corderoy
From: Ralph Corderoy @ 2000-08-08  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi Doug,

> Plan9 3rd edition includes a man page for compress and pack - but no
> executables (or sources). Is this an oversight or licensing, or ...?
> There are still .Z files on the net, and I have an accumulation of
> them from way back. Are plan9 versions available, or will I need to
> convert some source?

gzip normally reads compressed files ending in .Z, I'd guess Plan 9's
gzip is no different.  I've no suggestions on reading old packed .z
files or on writing either of them apart from getting the BSD sources
from an appropriate site.

Ralph.