* [9fans] Do you think I can use Plan9 ?
@ 2000-11-20 10:59 Thomas Baruchel
From: Thomas Baruchel @ 2000-11-20 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Brest, le dimanche 19 novembre

Hi, I'm a linux man (tired of linux). I have an old computer and I'm
wondering what I can put in it. I tried several versions of Linux, Minix,
Minix-VMD.
I have 8Mo RAM, and two hard disks: 240Mo + 204Mo + 486processor
For a poetical reason, I think of putting Plan9 in it...
(why? well, because I like sam the editor...)
Do you think it's a good idea ?
I downloaded the install floppy, and it didn't work! I don't remember why, but
if you think it should work, I can try again.
I also have a CD-ROM (is there a way of getting the CD distribution ?)
Is there a way of putting a small part of Plan 9 (like I can do with
Linux: I only use three tools: groff, ghostview, and an editor).
I don't know anything else about Plan9 (except that I really like SAM :-)

--
   .~.   Thomas Baruchel
   /V\   baruchel@libertysurf.fr

* [9fans] Re: Do you think I can use Plan9 ?
@ 2000-11-21  9:37 ` James
From: James @ 2000-11-21  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I tried to put Plan 9 on a P 100, with 16mb memory. It told me I had no
physical memory. Do to some hardware restrictions that I ran into (from old
P 100Mhz to new Geforce Video Cards) It was easier for me to build a Plan 9
box, now that would be poetical and artful. Compuvest1.com has the best Plan
9 compatible parts that I found and real cheap too,  even Mach64 videocards.
Good Luck
James

@ 2000-11-21  9:38 ` vecera
From: vecera @ 2000-11-21  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You can download a version of Sam editor for MSWindows from
ftp://netlib.bell-labs.com/netlib/research/sam.exe .
For installation of Plan 9 you will need (download):
1) an image of install floppy
2) distribution file - plan9.9gz (cca 57MB)
You can install it on standalone PC. But full Plan 9 OS runs on minimal
3 PCs - fileserver, cpuserver and terminal.
Read docs about required hardware configuration. (I think you will need
more than 8MB RAM)
vecera

> Hi, I'm a linux man (tired of linux). I have an old computer and I'm
> wondering what I can put in it. I tried several versions of Linux,
Minix,
> Minix-VMD.
> I have 8Mo RAM, and two hard disks: 240Mo + 204Mo + 486processor
> For a poetical reason, I think of putting Plan9 in it...
> (why? well, because I like sam the editor...)
> Do you think it's a good idea ?
> I downloaded the install floppy, and it didn't work! I don't remember
why, but
> if you think it should work, I can try again.
> I also have a CD-ROM (is there a way of getting the CD distribution ?)
> Is there a way of putting a small part of Plan 9 (like I can do with
> Linux: I only use three tools: groff, ghostview, and an editor).
> I don't know anything else about Plan9 (except that I really like SAM
:-)

> --
>    .~.   Thomas Baruchel
>    /V\   baruchel@libertysurf.fr