* [9fans] Announcement - Glenda Rulz
@ 2006-10-20  0:27 Skip Tavakkolian
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-10-20  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello 9fans,

We've been working on a system we call Shared Name Spaces, and a
service based on that system.  We're opening the service to testing by
9fans who want to try it.  Anyone interested please email me directly.

Thanks,
-Skip

P.S. interestingly it has relevance to two of the recent threads
on 9fans (re: 9pm/plan9 kernel, and plan9 music server)

* Re: [9fans] Announcement - Glenda Rulz
@ 2006-10-20  0:54 ` Wes Kussmaul
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2006-10-20  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm interested!

Wes Kussmaul
781-647-7178

Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> Hello 9fans,
>
> We've been working on a system we call Shared Name Spaces, and a
> service based on that system.  We're opening the service to testing by
> 9fans who want to try it.  Anyone interested please email me directly.
>
> Thanks,
> -Skip
>
> P.S. interestingly it has relevance to two of the recent threads
> on 9fans (re: 9pm/plan9 kernel, and plan9 music server)

* Re: [9fans] Announcement - Glenda Rulz
@ 2006-10-20  1:08 ` John Floren
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John Floren @ 2006-10-20  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/19/06, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
> Hello 9fans,
>
> We've been working on a system we call Shared Name Spaces, and a
> service based on that system.  We're opening the service to testing by
> 9fans who want to try it.  Anyone interested please email me directly.
>
> Thanks,
> -Skip
>
> P.S. interestingly it has relevance to two of the recent threads
> on 9fans (re: 9pm/plan9 kernel, and plan9 music server)

Yes, could you explain a bit more to this list? I'm sure it's of
interest to a lot of us.

John
--
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

* Re: [9fans] Announcement - Glenda Rulz
@ 2006-10-20  1:15 ` Joel “chesky” Salomon
From: Joel “chesky” Salomon @ 2006-10-20  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> We've been working on a system we call Shared Name Spaces, and a
> service based on that system.

What does this entail?  I’ve read the blurb—“secure, ad-hoc virtual
network services”—but what’s it mean?

--Joel

* Re: [9fans] Announcement - Glenda Rulz
@ 2006-10-20  1:33   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-10-20  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm interested!

Hi Wes,

Hope you're doing well.  It's basically what i showed you, but with a
web gateway for accessing files, instead of the IFS.  The IFS piece
is still not ready for prime time.  If you want anyone to try it, have
them contact me.  You can signup for a login (automatic) and
download the agent at:

https://www.9netics.net

The FAQ should give a reasonable idea of what the sequence should
be.  Please send me any and all feedback.

Thanks,
-Skip

* Re: [9fans] Announcement - Glenda Rulz
@ 2006-10-20  1:35   ` Joel “chesky” Salomon
From: Joel “chesky” Salomon @ 2006-10-20  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > We've been working on a system we call Shared Name Spaces, and a
> > service based on that system.
>
> What does this entail?  I’ve read the blurb—“secure, ad-hoc virtual
> network services”—but what’s it mean?

Of course I only saw the blurb at 9netics.com, completely missing the
details at 9netics.net.  Never mind...

--Joel

* Re: [9fans] Announcement - Glenda Rulz
@ 2006-10-20  1:42   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-10-20  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> What does this entail?  I’ve read the blurb—“secure, ad-hoc virtual
> network services”—but what’s it mean?

Hi Joel,

Check out the FAQ on the site.  If you have access to a Windows (2K or
XP) box you can try it out.  Just sign up for an account.  I'm trying
to keep the number of users low.  Please don't forward this email.  If
someone should try it or is interested have them contact me.  Please
send me any feedback and bug reports.

https://www.9netics.net

(note it is HTTPS)

Thanks,
-Skip

* Re: [9fans] Announcement - Glenda Rulz
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-10-20  3:12 ` Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2006-10-20  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Skip Tavakkolian wrote:

>Hello 9fans,
>
>We've been working on a system we call Shared Name Spaces, and a
>service based on that system.  We're opening the service to testing by
>9fans who want to try it.  Anyone interested please email me directly.

Hi Skip!

I guess here goes my first bug report -- SNSA constantly coredumps (or
what do they
call it on Win? ;-)) when I try to login. I can login successfully via
browser, though.

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9fans] Announcement - Glenda Rulz
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-10-20  3:30 ` Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2006-10-20  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 17:27 -0700, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> Hello 9fans,
>
> We've been working on a system we call Shared Name Spaces, and a
> service based on that system.  We're opening the service to testing by
> 9fans who want to try it.  Anyone interested please email me directly.

  Aha! The coredump was because of an empty group. Now, once I put
the group name there it was capable of logging in, but I still
can't see the network drive. Now, granted, that would be my first
time trying to do something in Windows in a looooong time, but still ;-)

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9fans] Announcement - Glenda Rulz
@ 2006-10-20  4:42   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-10-20  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
>
>>Hello 9fans,
>>
>>We've been working on a system we call Shared Name Spaces, and a
>>service based on that system.  We're opening the service to testing by
>>9fans who want to try it.  Anyone interested please email me directly.
>>

> Hi Skip!
>
> I guess here goes my first bug report -- SNSA constantly coredumps (or
> what do they
> call it on Win? ;-)) when I try to login. I can login successfully via
> browser, though.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

before you login, take a look at the "Options" menu and see what it
has for root directory. does that folder exists?  also you can "Show console"
before login to see a trace of what's happening. let me know
and what version of windows you're using.

thanks for trying it.

* Re: [9fans] Announcement - Glenda Rulz
@ 2006-10-20  4:43   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-10-20  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>   Aha! The coredump was because of an empty group. Now, once I put
> the group name there it was capable of logging in, but I still
> can't see the network drive. Now, granted, that would be my first
> time trying to do something in Windows in a looooong time, but still ;-)

Unfortunately the IFS stuff is not ready for prime time. I hope
to announce something before the end of the year.

* Re: [9fans] Announcement - Glenda Rulz
@ 2006-10-20  5:17     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-10-20  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hi Joel,

darn! it wasn't meant for the list.

* Re: [9fans] Announcement - Glenda Rulz
@ 2006-10-20  5:28   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-10-20  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Yes, could you explain a bit more to this list? I'm sure it's of
> interest to a lot of us.

One way to use SNS is to share your files with just yourself - i.e.
make your files on your PC visible/accessible to you from anywhere in
a secure way.

* Re: [9fans] Announcement - Glenda Rulz
       [not found] <001d01c6f3e1$1b6f7bc0$14aaa8c0@utelsystems.local>
@ 2006-10-24  9:45 ` "Nils O. Selåsdal"
From: "Nils O. Selåsdal" @ 2006-10-24  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> Hello 9fans,
>
> We've been working on a system we call Shared Name Spaces, and a
> service based on that system.  We're opening the service to testing by
> 9fans who want to try it.  Anyone interested please email me directly.
A cool name might save the world - but at times I want to know what's
involved too.

What is this thing ?