* Re: [9fans] cpu keyboard
@ 2002-12-05 14:48 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-12-05 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks.

I confirmed that 'console=0' is commented out in plan9.ini, and that
messages appear on the console display. It seems only the keyboard
is hosed.

> To mount 9fat from a cpu window as the hostowner (bootes):
>
> 	bind -b '#S' /dev
> 	rm /srv/dos
> 	9fat:
>
> To write to the console:
>
> 	echo this will appear on the console >'#c/cons'

* Re: [9fans] cpu keyboard
@ 2002-12-05 17:42 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-12-05 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

FYI for others who may be interested: this problem was solved
(thanks to presotto) by initializing the mouse port by adding a call
to aux/mouse in cpurc.  I have my machines connected through a KVM
(keyboard/video/mouse) switch.  The guess is that either cycling the
KVM switch or random mouse activity causes the mouse port to generate
stray chars which confuse the keyboard input.

* Re: [9fans] cpu keyboard
@ 2002-12-05 17:19 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-12-05 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I don't know how to specifically cause an error message to appear on the
> console to make certain. Also, is there any way to get at cpu's 9fat
> from drawterm with bootes credentials (or other files in cpu's /dev)?

To mount 9fat from a cpu window as the hostowner (bootes):

	bind -b '#S' /dev
	rm /srv/dos
	9fat:

To write to the console:

	echo this will appear on the console >'#c/cons'

Russ

* Re: [9fans] cpu keyboard
@ 2002-12-05 14:32 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-12-05 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Do you also have the console on one of the serial ports?  Define console
freeze a little better, i.e., if you hit ^t^tr does it reboot, do error
messages continue to appear on the display, ...

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1939 bytes --]

From: "Skip Tavakkolian" <fst@centurytel.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] cpu keyboard
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 01:20:19 -0500

When using a 4th ed cpu kernel -- built locally -- the
console freezes within a few minutes of startup, although the system
continues to operate (drawterm and cpu ).  The CD image was
downloaded on 11/27.  The term kernel from the CD on the same hardware
doesn't exhibit this problem.  Any idea where I should start looking?
Also, I can't be sure, but it seems to happen more quickly if I switch
the console (keyboard/mouse/display) to another machine and
back.

I vaguely recall seeing this with a 3rd ed cpu.  Has anyone else
experienced this?

* Re: [9fans] cpu keyboard
@ 2002-12-05 14:20 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-12-05 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Do you also have the console on one of the serial ports?  Define console
> freeze a little better, i.e., if you hit ^t^tr does it reboot, do error
> messages continue to appear on the display, ...

I can't get to 9fat, but I'm pretty sure the "console=0" was commented
out; it's the standard plan9.ini + some new bootfiles added.  ^t^tr
doesn't reboot.  No error messages have appeared on the display from
the point where the keyboard stopped responding some 7 hours
ago.

I don't know how to specifically cause an error message to appear on the
console to make certain. Also, is there any way to get at cpu's 9fat
from drawterm with bootes credentials (or other files in cpu's /dev)?

* [9fans] cpu keyboard
@ 2002-12-05  6:20 Skip Tavakkolian