* [9fans] 3dfx banshee
@ 2000-12-20 10:00 vonstroheim
From: vonstroheim @ 2000-12-20 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Has anybody manage to use a 3dfx banshee PCI card with plan9 ?

I modified the vgadb file to force the use of the voodoo3 driver but it
failed.
I got the following message (dumped in vgainfo.txt):

main->snarf
vga->snarf
3dfx->snarf
sequencer->enter on
sequencer->leave on
3dfx: unknown chip - DID 0003

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

* Re: [9fans] 3dfx banshee
       [not found] <20001220145503.C691D199F7@mail.cse.psu.edu>
@ 2000-12-22  4:09 ` Naofumi Yasufuku
From: Naofumi Yasufuku @ 2000-12-22  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> vonstroheim@my-deja.com:
> 	Has anybody manage to use a 3dfx banshee PCI card with plan9 ?

I have managed to use my Banshee card (Diamond Moster Fusion) with plan9.
I modified kernel and vga sources to add Banshee's device ID as same as
jim's follow-ups.

> Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 09:08:50 -0500
>
> I've not tried this as I don't have a Banshee, but I believe it will
> work if you add the chip id in the two places it matters, i.e. in both
> /sys/src/9/pc/vga3dfx.c and /sys/src/cmd/aux/vga/3dfx.c look for all
> cases of
>
> 		case 0x0005:		/* Avenger (a.k.a. Voodoo3) */
>
> and add
>
> 		case 0x0003:		/* Banshee */
>
> (make sure tyou get them all, there's motre than one in the kernel
> driver).
>
> Let me know if it works and I'll add it into the distribution.
> Good luck.
>
> --jim

Yes, it works ;-)

I have put my kernel (9pcdisk), vga command include Banshee support,
and my vgadb file at

    http://hb8.seikyou.ne.jp/home/naofumi/plan9_w_banshee/

======================
Naofumi Yasufuku
<naofumi@yasufuku.net>

* Re: [9fans] 3dfx banshee
@ 2000-12-21  9:44 ` Alexander C. Deztroyer
From: Alexander C. Deztroyer @ 2000-12-21  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I suggest you have a look at: vgadb(6) and vga(8)

I haven't play with the vgadb yet. But I think it might be the problem of
the kernel. Because it might need special driver to contorl the chip set(s).

Good luck
Alex

<jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote in message
> vonstroheim@my-deja.com:
> Has anybody manage to use a 3dfx banshee PCI card with plan9 ?
>
> I modified the vgadb file to force the use of the voodoo3 driver but it
> failed.
> I got the following message (dumped in vgainfo.txt):
>
> main->snarf
> vga->snarf
> 3dfx->snarf
> sequencer->enter on
> sequencer->leave on
> 3dfx: unknown chip - DID 0003
>
> I've not tried this as I don't have a Banshee, but I believe it will
> work if you add the chip id in the two places it matters, i.e. in both
> /sys/src/9/pc/vga3dfx.c and /sys/src/cmd/aux/vga/3dfx.c look for all
> cases of
>
> case 0x0005: /* Avenger (a.k.a. Voodoo3) */
>
> and add
>
> case 0x0003: /* Banshee */
>
> (make sure tyou get them all, there's motre than one in the kernel
> driver).
>
> Let me know if it works and I'll add it into the distribution.
> Good luck.
>
> --jim

* Re: [9fans] 3dfx banshee
@ 2000-12-20 14:08 jmk