* [9fans] Gmail and upas
@ 2008-11-21  5:52 David Welling
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Welling @ 2008-11-21  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello all, firstly let me mention that I'm pretty stoked about using
Plan 9. I've been using it for about a week now, and things are coming
along well.

I'm having a bit of an issue, and it may entirely stem from my lack of
familiarity on the system, so I apologize in advance if this turns out
to be a silly problem:

When I throw

upas/fs -f /imaps/imap.gmail.com/sidiasus@gmail.com

into my profile, (after the plumber, before I start rio; as per the
suggestion regarding mail on the wiki), I get a ludicrous amount of
errors after a while akin to this:

download 1768: i/o error: i/o on hungup channel
download 1769: i/o error: i/o on hungup channel
download 1770: i/o error: i/o on hungup channel
download 1771: i/o error: i/o on hungup channel

Et cetera. I did have copious amounts of mail in this box, somewhere
in the neighborhood of 3500. When I first ran this procedure, it
worked pretty well, albeit it slowly (3500 is a lot of messages to go
through). I got some similar messages, but I was able to access my
mail, and my machine seemed to run just fine. I used gmail's web
interface to clean out about 2000 of those mails, and rebooted the
system. Now, with these errors, the system grinds to a halt and there
is no responsiveness to speak of.

If any of you folks have any constructive suggestions, I certainly
appreciate the input. I perused various manpages and tried to dig
through the archives here, but haven't seen a problem quite like mine.

Thanks in advance,
Sid

* Re: [9fans] Gmail and upas
@ 2008-11-21 19:33 Eris Discordia
From: Eris Discordia @ 2008-11-21 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> seems you use IMAP to read gmail. I usually read my gmail mail through
> my web browser, which is not a problem from opera/firefox in linux.
> However, I can't do the same from plan9. Neither abaco, nor charon
> work. Is this so for everyone or just for me? Thanks.

GMail's normal web interface is a heavy web application relying on AJAX.
That is unavailable on Plan 9's browsers from A (asynchronous), to J
(JavaScript), to X (XML). You may want to try to disable the advanced
interface, go with the basic HTML-only one, and then try it on Plan 9's
browsers. Even though, the login page alone could pose serious problems
with a basic unadorned browser like abaco.

People here seem to use IMAP to do their bidding but POP (POPS actually)
can be just fine and very simple if you only want to read your email and
you don't receive huge attachments that will clog your line if you even try
to read the text part of an a new email.

<http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/magic/man2html/4/upasfs> (try poptls)

FUN FACT: GMail works well with links/elinks.

--On Friday, November 21, 2008 3:43 PM +0100 Rudolf Sykora

[parent not found: <83FF65C5DEB028B86726798F@192.168.1.2>]