* [9fans] recent rebuild of SYSFROMISO on 9vx dead after recent updates
@ 2011-05-19 13:21 EBo
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: EBo @ 2011-05-19 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9Fans-list

 A major update to my system motivated me to rebuild everything on my
 gentoo box a few days ago.  This started out as a kde-4.6.2 and gcc
 updates, but there was a huge packet of system level stuff that all came
 out at the same time.  I have a timestamped version of 9vx and 9vx-root
 dated from 06/15/2010 of last year that builds fine, but needs various
 updates so I copy over from Eric's SYSFROMISO.  The recompile/install
 runs fine, but 9vx hangs upon restart after posting the "init: starting
 /bin/rc" message, but before starting rio.

 Has anyone seen similar problems on recent builds?

 As a note, this is on a machine running with a AMD Phenom IIx4
 processor on a gentoo box.  Also, I have almost the exact same setup at
 work running on a Core2Duo that runs fine.  Any suggestions would be
 greatly appreciated.

   EBo --

* Re: [9fans] recent rebuild of SYSFROMISO on 9vx dead after recent updates
@ 2011-05-19 13:41 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2011-05-19 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I am pretty sure this is the AINC change. Probably needs a vx32 fix.

For anyone who has free time and wants to learn something neat ...

ron

* Re: [9fans] recent rebuild of SYSFROMISO on 9vx dead after recent updates
@ 2011-05-19 13:57   ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2011-05-19 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 On Thu, 19 May 2011 06:41:56 -0700, ron minnich wrote:
> I am pretty sure this is the AINC change. Probably needs a vx32 fix.
>
> For anyone who has free time and wants to learn something neat ...

 Always interested in learning something neat, but no free time.  If
 someone has time to work on this I would be glad to beta-test...

@ 2011-05-19 14:00 ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2011-05-19 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 8:21 AM, EBo <ebo@sandien.com> wrote:
> copy over from Eric's SYSFROMISO.  The recompile/install runs fine, but 9vx
> hangs upon restart after posting the "init: starting /bin/rc" message, but
> before starting rio.

FWIW, I see long delays occasionally on my OSX box at this phase
(potentially lasting 30 seconds or so), but I have never had time to
investigate.

and BTW Ebo, you don't have time to fix vx32. :)

      -eric

* Re: [9fans] recent rebuild of SYSFROMISO on 9vx dead after recent updates
@ 2011-05-19 14:13   ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2011-05-19 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 On Thu, 19 May 2011 09:00:36 -0500, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 8:21 AM, EBo <ebo@sandien.com> wrote:
>> copy over from Eric's SYSFROMISO.  The recompile/install runs fine,
>> but 9vx
>> hangs upon restart after posting the "init: starting /bin/rc"
>> message, but
>> before starting rio.
>>

> FWIW, I see long delays occasionally on my OSX box at this phase
> (potentially lasting 30 seconds or so), but I have never had time to
> investigate.

 hmmm... I have not just let it sit and spin for awhile.  I'll give that
 a try...

> and BTW Ebo, you don't have time to fix vx32. :)

 I agree.  That is what I meant in my last reply by "...but no free
 time"

@ 2011-05-30 15:02 ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2011-05-30 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 FYI, 9vx now builds properly again on my  amd64 box.  The problem
 turned out to be the KDE upgrade which did not fully uninstall all of
 the old versions libraries and programs.  So I ended up having a mixed
 system which messed something up in 9vx's rebuild.

   EBo --