* Re: [9fans] upasname quoting tricks
@ 2004-02-08  4:40 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-02-08  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> What is the trick to getting angled brackets inside upasname
> value without messing up the date field, or leaving backslashes
> around?

I couldn't find a way so I just used upasname=mirtchov@cpsc until I
saw Presotto's "From:" rewriting pipefrom from a few days ago:

sed 's/^From: mirtchov$/From: andrey mirtchovski <mirtchov>/'
|/bin/upas/send ....

andrey

* Re: [9fans] upasname quoting tricks
@ 2004-02-08  5:50   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-02-08  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> You can add arbitrary 822 headers by creating /mail/box/$user/headers.
> This is mine:
>
> ; cat headers
> From: Geoff Collyer <geoff@collyer.net>

I tried that initially (before discovering upasname) and ended up with
emails being sent with two different From: headers.  Upasname solved
the problem so I never looked further into it..

* [9fans] upasname quoting tricks
@ 2004-02-08  6:25 9nut
From: 9nut @ 2004-02-08  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

What is the trick to getting angled brackets inside upasname
value without messing up the date field, or leaving backslashes
around?

BTW, thanks to Geoff, I'm now handling my own mail; Now I'll
able to go back to my normal Plan9-"related program activities"

* Re: [9fans] upasname quoting tricks
@ 2004-02-08  6:27 ` Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2004-02-08  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: Geoff Collyer <geoff@collyer.net>

* Re: [9fans] upasname quoting tricks
@ 2004-02-08  7:51   ` 9nut
From: 9nut @ 2004-02-08  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> sed 's/^From: mirtchov$/From: andrey mirtchovski <mirtchov>/'
> |/bin/upas/send ....

I saw that one too; I wasn't sure if there is an easier way.  I have
my default persona in /mail/box/$user/headers (Freud would love this)
but I'd like to switch personalities -- more accurately hats --
quickly.

As an alternative, with a little bit of tweaking (stuff in
send/message.c I think), it seems we could just do an alias lookup on
upasname against aliases in /mail/lib/fromfiles, when upasname exists
and does not include an @ or !.

* Re: [9fans] upasname quoting tricks
@ 2004-02-08 18:56   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-08 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I couldn't find a way so I just used upasname=mirtchov@cpsc until I
> saw Presotto's "From:" rewriting pipefrom from a few days ago:

oh, a route addr [822] with or without a phrase [1123].

* Re: [9fans] upasname quoting tricks
@ 2004-02-09  4:50   ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-02-09  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> You can add arbitrary 822 headers by creating /mail/box/$user/headers.
> This is mine:
>
> ; cat headers
> From: Geoff Collyer <geoff@collyer.net>

Oh, thanks!