* [9fans] 9P on android
@ 2009-08-27  8:20 Enrico Weigelt
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2009-08-27  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi folks,

I just purchased an G2-Touch phone (running Android) - a really
cool toy, but it lacks 9P support ;-o

Maybe someone's already working on this issue ?

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt@metux.de
 mobile: +49 174 7066481   icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666

* Re: [9fans] 9P on android
@ 2009-08-27 14:35 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2009-08-27 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm interested in doing some stuff with the Palm Pre.  I'm actually looking
at the javascript implementations of it as well.  I just have practically no
time to invest these days in this stuff.
I think someone already got some of the plan 9 userspace tools on here
though.

Dave

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 1:20 AM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>

> I just purchased an G2-Touch phone (running Android) - a really
> cool toy, but it lacks 9P support ;-o
>
> Maybe someone's already working on this issue ?
>

> cu
> --
>  Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/
>
>  phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt@metux.de
>  mobile: +49 174 7066481   icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666
>  Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme

* Re: [9fans] 9P on android
@ 2009-08-27 15:40 ` J.R. Mauro
From: J.R. Mauro @ 2009-08-27 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 4:20 AM, Enrico Weigelt<weigelt@metux.de> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>

> I just purchased an G2-Touch phone (running Android) - a really
> cool toy, but it lacks 9P support ;-o

I don't know how open Android is, but if you could cross-compile the
v9fs modules (or compile them on the phone, if they let you get the
toolchain on it), you'd be in business. Otherwise, there's always one
of the userspace solutions, such as 9pfuse.

@ 2009-08-27 15:59   ` C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2009-08-27 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>I'm actually looking at the javascript implementations of [9p] as well.

has javascript finally got support for binary data?

* Re: [9fans] 9P on android
@ 2009-08-27 16:52     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2009-08-27 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 8:59 AM, C H Forsyth <forsyth@vitanuova.com> wrote:

> >I'm actually looking at the javascript implementations of [9p] as well.
>
> has javascript finally got support for binary data?

I haven't been following.  I find a lot of "web stuff" to be off-putting, so
I've not been keeping up.  base64 encoding stuff is crap but could suffice
in a pinch.

Dave

* Re: [9fans] 9P on android
@ 2009-08-27 16:57       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-08-27 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I haven't been following.  I find a lot of "web stuff" to be off-putting, so
> I've not been keeping up.  base64 encoding stuff is crap but could suffice
> in a pinch.

uh, i don't think so.  9p2000 doesn't have a base64 encoding option.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] 9P on android
@ 2009-08-27 17:14         ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2009-08-27 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 9:57 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:

> > I haven't been following.  I find a lot of "web stuff" to be off-putting,
> so
> > I've not been keeping up.  base64 encoding stuff is crap but could
> suffice
> > in a pinch.
>
> uh, i don't think so.  9p2000 doesn't have a base64 encoding option.

As long as the server can deal with decoding and turning it into 9p again,
it's nearly the same thing (albeit a 9p proxy).

I'm looking at these two implementations here to figure out how they work if
binary javascript doesn't...

http://www.kix.in/projects/web9/
http://code.google.com/p/limbo-machine/wiki/JS

Dave

> - erik

* Re: [9fans] 9P on android
@ 2009-08-27 17:24         ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2009-08-27 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> I haven't been following.  I find a lot of "web stuff" to be off-putting, so
>> I've not been keeping up.  base64 encoding stuff is crap but could suffice
>> in a pinch.
>
> uh, i don't think so.  9p2000 doesn't have a base64 encoding option.

no direct binary support; but that's not the only problem.  if
you're talking about using javascript inside the browser, you're stuck
with http and -- because there can only be one outstanding
request -- with continuous polling.

* Re: [9fans] 9P on android
@ 2009-08-27 19:05       ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2009-08-27 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 8:59 AM, C H Forsyth <forsyth@vitanuova.com> wrote:
>> has javascript finally got support for binary data?
>
> I haven't been following.  I find a lot of "web stuff" to be off-putting, so
> I've not been keeping up.  base64 encoding stuff is crap but could suffice
> in a pinch.

Did Javascript not support binary data in the past?  It seems
to support it fine in my browser at least.  Here's a transcript
from a javascript shell session in my browser (note, top line is
most recent, bottom line is oldest):

http://www.thenewsh.com/shell.html

   Eval: for(var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) _print(x.charCodeAt(i) + "\n");
   Return: undefined
   255
   254
   3
   2
   1
   0
   Eval: x = "\x00\x01\x02\x03\xfe\xff"
   Return:

> Dave

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/

* Re: [9fans] 9P on android
@ 2009-08-27 19:41 ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2009-08-27 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I used Charles Forsyth's 9P implementation in Java (styx-n-9p) to start a
small 9P graphical browser on Android, some weeks ago, and it seems to work
very well.

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] 9P on android
@ 2009-08-27 21:09           ` Roman V Shaposhnik
From: Roman V Shaposhnik @ 2009-08-27 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 10:24 -0700, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> because there can only be one outstanding request -- with continuous polling.

Unless I misunderstood you, this is not quite true. You can have
as many outstanding requests as you have XMLHTTPRequest objects.
And, of course, you can do AJAX Push using various techniques.

So it really is not all that different, except that you have
to strip the HTTP envelope.

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9fans] 9P on android
@ 2010-02-04 23:53   ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2010-02-04 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Is source to your application available anywhere?  I'm getting a
Android tablet and wanted to do some 9P/Plan9 hacking for it and it
sounds like you have a good starting point.

     -eric

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM, David du Colombier <0intro@gmail.com> wrote:
> I used Charles Forsyth's 9P implementation in Java (styx-n-9p) to start a
> small 9P graphical browser on Android, some weeks ago, and it seems to work
> very well.
>
> --
> David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] 9P on android
@ 2010-03-02 17:47     ` Rahul Murmuria
From: Rahul Murmuria @ 2010-03-02 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi Eric!
I know this thread is a little old now, but I wanted to take a look
into the same thing.

9P on Android!! Its something that could turn out to be an asset to my
project here, that I intend to do.. what's the latest update on it?
Can Google Android be used as a 9P server too, instead of just a java
or php or javascript-based client that connects to a Plan 9 Styx
server? There is this project called npfs (
http://sourceforge.net/projects/npfs/ ) but I have never tried running
a 9P fileserver and so have not a clear idea on the details here.

--
Rahul Murmuria

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is source to your application available anywhere?  I'm getting a
> Android tablet and wanted to do some 9P/Plan9 hacking for it and it
> sounds like you have a good starting point.
>
>     -eric
>

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM, David du Colombier <0intro@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I used Charles Forsyth's 9P implementation in Java (styx-n-9p) to start a
>> small 9P graphical browser on Android, some weeks ago, and it seems to work
>> very well.
>>
>> --
>> David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] 9P on android
@ 2010-03-02 18:42       ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-03-02 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I think the Java Styx code could be changed for writing servers, though it
might need some support code to make writing servers a little nicer.

Dave

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Rahul Murmuria <rahul.is.also@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Eric!
> I know this thread is a little old now, but I wanted to take a look
> into the same thing.
>
> 9P on Android!! Its something that could turn out to be an asset to my
> project here, that I intend to do.. what's the latest update on it?
> Can Google Android be used as a 9P server too, instead of just a java
> or php or javascript-based client that connects to a Plan 9 Styx
> server? There is this project called npfs (
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/npfs/ ) but I have never tried running
> a 9P fileserver and so have not a clear idea on the details here.
>
> --
> Rahul Murmuria
>
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Is source to your application available anywhere?  I'm getting a
> > Android tablet and wanted to do some 9P/Plan9 hacking for it and it
> > sounds like you have a good starting point.
> >
> >     -eric
> >

> > On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM, David du Colombier <0intro@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> I used Charles Forsyth's 9P implementation in Java (styx-n-9p) to start
> >> small 9P graphical browser on Android, some weeks ago, and it seems to
> work
> >> very well.
> >>
> >> --
> >> David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] 9P on android
@ 2010-03-02 21:51       ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2010-03-02 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Hi Eric!
> I know this thread is a little old now, but I wanted to take a look
> into the same thing.
>
> 9P on Android!! Its something that could turn out to be an asset to my
> project here, that I intend to do.. what's the latest update on it?
> Can Google Android be used as a 9P server too, instead of just a java
> or php or javascript-based client that connects to a Plan 9 Styx
> server? There is this project called npfs (
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/npfs/ ) but I have never tried running
> a 9P fileserver and so have not a clear idea on the details here.

Npfs is in C.  You could make java bindings to it, but it would
probably be more work than it's worth.

I've been using a few 9p servers from android.  I have
a java library that does 9p service that I'm using.  Here's
some code I published that includes the library:

   http://9fans.net/archive/2009/10/269

Let me know if you have any questions.

> Rahul Murmuria
>
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is source to your application available anywhere?  I'm getting a
>> Android tablet and wanted to do some 9P/Plan9 hacking for it and it
>> sounds like you have a good starting point.
>>
>>     -eric
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM, David du Colombier <0intro@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I used Charles Forsyth's 9P implementation in Java (styx-n-9p) to start a
>>> small 9P graphical browser on Android, some weeks ago, and it seems to work
>>> very well.
>>>
>>> --
>>> David du Colombier

Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com

* Re: [9fans] 9P on android
@ 2010-03-04 12:58         ` Rahul Murmuria
From: Rahul Murmuria @ 2010-03-04 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi Tim!

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Tim Newsham <newsham@lava.net> wrote:
> Npfs is in C.  You could make java bindings to it, but it would
> probably be more work than it's worth.
>
> I've been using a few 9p servers from android.  I have
> a java library that does 9p service that I'm using.  Here's
> some code I published that includes the library:
>
>  http://9fans.net/archive/2009/10/269

Lovely!! Will check it out.

> Let me know if you have any questions.

Be sure to hear from me in the near future!

> Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com

Best Regards,
--
Rahul Murmuria