* [9fans] multiboot archlinux and plan9 problem
@ 2012-10-15  9:02 visof
From: visof @ 2012-10-15  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hello everyone
i have installed 9front on my laptop as native without any installation problem and then installed archlinux and multiboot them using grub2 from archlinux
, and i did menuentry for plan9 and it appears but when i choose plan9 from grub menu i got this error:
pbs..........ok
sectsize != 512
what is this mean? and how can i fix such error?
some info:
/dev/sda3

* Re: [9fans] multiboot archlinux and plan9 problem
@ 2012-10-15 12:50 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-10-15 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: abdullahibra, 9fans

On Mon Oct 15 05:05:17 EDT 2012, abdullahibra@gmail.com wrote:
> hello everyone
> i have installed 9front on my laptop as native without any installation problem and then installed archlinux and multiboot them using grub2 from archlinux
> , and i did menuentry for plan9 and it appears but when i choose plan9 from grub menu i got this error:
> pbs..........ok
> sectsize != 512
> what is this mean? and how can i fix such error?

it means that you have a non-512-byte-sector drive (almost certainly 4k sectors)
and the boot loader isn't prepared to deal with that.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] multiboot archlinux and plan9 problem
@ 2012-10-15 17:34   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2012-10-15 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi visof. this error is from an older version of 9bootfat,
that just checks the secsize field from the fat header. it
sounded like that boot worked fine prior installing of linux.

so i would suspect that 9bootfat looks at the wrong partition.

9bootfat only gets passed the drive. it finds the plan9 partition
by probing for a "active" marked partition that contains valid
fat header.

grub should have some option to mark the plan9 partition as
as active before chainloading to its pbs. i would try this next.

as an alternative, you could also just load the 9pcf kernel
directly in grub as we got multiboot header support with
plan9.ini is passed as initrd. but given the old error message,
your kernel might not support this option yet.

good luck.

--
cinap