* Re: [9fans] Init hangs
@ 2008-09-22 13:54 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-09-22 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ralmoritz, 9fans

> Thanks Eric. Now I need to try to find the errant code, but I can't connect a
> debugger at this point. What else can I do to diagnose the problem?

i think the suggestion to take the cdrom out of your vm profile is the right
one.  i think access of the cdrom drive is the problem.  once you get things going, i do have
a patch that might work for you if you still need the cdrom.  i haven't tried
it since i don't run vmware.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Init hangs
@ 2008-09-22 14:00 ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2008-09-22 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I would love to try the patch. And I'm still baffled as to why the
installer works but the standard kernels don't.

Peace

uriel

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 3:54 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> Thanks Eric. Now I need to try to find the errant code, but I can't connect a
>> debugger at this point. What else can I do to diagnose the problem?
>
> i think the suggestion to take the cdrom out of your vm profile is the right
> one.  i think access of the cdrom drive is the problem.  once you get things going, i do have
> a patch that might work for you if you still need the cdrom.  i haven't tried
> it since i don't run vmware.
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] Init hangs
@ 2008-09-22 15:57   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-09-22 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I would love to try the patch. And I'm still baffled as to why the
> installer works but the standard kernels don't.
>
> Peace
>
> uriel

it is the sdata patch i posted a few weeks ago.

Sep  8 13:00:49 EDT 2008 /n/dump/2008/0922/sys/src/9/pc/sdata.c 54744 [quanstro]
/n/dump/2008/0922/sys/src/9/pc/sdata.c:1421 c /n/dump/2008/0908/sys/src/9/pc/sdata.c:1421
< 	if(ataready(cmdport, ctlport, drive->dev, Bsy|Drq, Drdy, 101*1000) < 0)
---
> 	if(ataready(cmdport, ctlport, drive->dev, Bsy|Drq, 0, 101*1000) < 0)

if this doesn't fix the problem, i'll see if i can't do a vmware install and
see what the problem is.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Init hangs
@ 2008-09-24  8:37     ` yourfriendllc
From: yourfriendllc @ 2008-09-24  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sep 23, 7:38�am, ralmor...@gmail.com (Ralph Moritz) wrote:
> Rodolfo kix Garc�a �<kix <at> kix.es> writes:
>
> > Hi!
>
> > I am not sure, and my reply can be stupid ...
>
> > Try to disconect the CD-Rom in vmware, and bootplan9
>
> Hi Rodolfo,
>
> I tried this but init still hangs...
>
> I'd like to try Eric's patch, but I need a little hand-holding. What are the
> steps to mount my fossil partition, apply the patch, compile and install?
>
> TAL,
> Ralph

Hello all,

I left a hung install shut off in VMWare Server for 1 week and came
back to it and it booted up.  I am in the process of trying to repeat
this finding.  But, my thoughts are that it has something to do with
file timestamps.  Could that possibly ring a bell for anyone?  I was
also led to thinking it had something to do with the xga startup.   I
was thinking that after installation and reboot, if I boot from CD and
remount the fossil partition then I could see what else in the boot
sequence could be occurring.   .... or, I'll just shut up and wait to
hear what you guys figure out....

Roderick

* Re: [9fans] Init hangs
@ 2008-09-23 14:34   ` Ralph Moritz
From: Ralph Moritz @ 2008-09-23 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2008-09-22 17:44   ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2008-09-22 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 13:46 +0200, Rodolfo kix García wrote:
> Try to disconect the CD-Rom in vmware, and boot plan9

That was my thought too.

While on the subject, anybody tried to install on a Free ESXi server?
My attempts fall apart as early as 9load.  The IDE line is printed, then
nothing happens.
--
Lucio De Re (Off site)
Ph: +27 83 251 5824

* Re: [9fans] Init hangs
@ 2008-09-22 12:26     ` Ralph Moritz
From: Ralph Moritz @ 2008-09-22 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

erik quanstrom <quanstro <at> quanstro.net> writes:

> >> What could have gone wrong? If exec had failed, an error message would
> >> have
> >> been printed. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps /bin/rc is an
> >> invalid image.
> >>
> >> Is there a core dump file I can examine to find out what's going wrong?
> >> I'm
> >> a noob, so please, put away the lighter and help me out :)
>
> a command in cpurc or termrc is not completing.

Thanks Eric. Now I need to try to find the errant code, but I can't connect a
debugger at this point. What else can I do to diagnose the problem?

--
Ralph

* Re: [9fans] Init hangs
@ 2008-09-22 11:46 ` Rodolfo kix García
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Rodolfo kix García  @ 2008-09-22 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: 9fans

Hi!

I am not sure, and my reply can be stupid ...

Try to disconect the CD-Rom in vmware, and boot plan9

slds.

--
Rodolfo García AKA kix
http://www.kix.es/

* Re: [9fans] Init hangs
@ 2008-09-22 11:42   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-09-22 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> What could have gone wrong? If exec had failed, an error message would
>> have
>> been printed. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps /bin/rc is an
>> invalid image.
>>
>> Is there a core dump file I can examine to find out what's going wrong?
>> I'm
>> a noob, so please, put away the lighter and help me out :)

a command in cpurc or termrc is not completing.

- erik

* [9fans] Init hangs
@ 2008-09-22 11:35 Ralph Moritz