* [9fans] S3 VGA gives "not enough free address space"
@ 2001-02-22 10:35 Martin Harriss
From: Martin Harriss @ 2001-02-22 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have a couple of VGA cards that are giving me problems.  Both use S3 chips of
one variation or another.  One is a Diamond card, the other is from STB (don't
have the exact model numbers handy, but can get them if it matters.)  The
Diamond card has 2MB on it, the STB has 8MB.  I'm setting the resolution to
1024x768x8.

On bootup, it seems that aux/vga recognises them, but I get an error message from the
kernel saying "not enough free address space" and the numbers 0x4000000 and 0x8000000.
(I think that the first is a virtual address and the second is an address length; I
may have them reversed.)

The system uses an ASUS P/IP55TP4XE motherboard with 32MB and a 75MHz Pentium I.
I have all the latest updates installed.

Any ideas?  Any other information I could give that would help? (I know this information
doesn't sound very specific but I thought it might ring a bell with someone.  I can supply
any other info on request.)

Martin Harriss

only message in thread, other threads:[~2001-02-22 10:35 UTC | newest]