* [9fans] Looking for some sources
@ 2003-07-17 22:02 Kris Van Hees
From: Kris Van Hees @ 2003-07-17 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It seems that there are no sources included in the Plan9 4th Ed release for
the aux/vmmousepoll and aux/vmwarefs binaries (unless I am looking in the
wrong places).  Are they available anywhere, or are they closed sources in
agreement with VMWare?  I'm mainly interested in them from a curiosity
perspective since I worked on trying to get Plan9 to run in VMWare a couple
of years ago myself.

	Kris
--
Never underestimate a Mage with:
 - the Intelligence to cast Magic Missile,

* Re: [9fans] Looking for some sources
@ 2003-07-19 17:25 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-07-19 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It seems that there are no sources included in the Plan9 4th Ed release for
> the aux/vmmousepoll and aux/vmwarefs binaries (unless I am looking in the
> wrong places).  Are they available anywhere, or are they closed sources in
> agreement with VMWare?  I'm mainly interested in them from a curiosity
> perspective since I worked on trying to get Plan9 to run in VMWare a couple
> of years ago myself.

In general, you can run

	src -n /bin/rio

to find the source file for a binary (well, for main).
If you do this, you'll find that aux/vmmousepoll and
aux/vmwarefs have no distributed sources (and not
even debugging symbols) as per my agreement with
VMware (as you guessed).  You can poke around in
/mnt/vmware to see what kinds of things the programs
give access to, though.

Russ