* [9fans] fn oddity with acme
@ 2008-12-24 17:50 Mathieu
From: Mathieu @ 2008-12-24 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all,

I've defined such an rc function:
fn acmef { acme -f /lib/font/bit/fixed/unicode.8x13.font }
and when I call this function I keep getting this error displayed
repetively on the screen:

grow segment 3 -> f00000 would overlap 0 [f000000-10000000]

this happens both with p9p acme/rc and in 9vx.

Am I doing something that I am not supposed to here? I defined other
simple functions like this one in the past and it always worked so far.

Cheers,
Mathieu

* Re: [9fans] fn oddity with acme
@ 2008-12-24 18:04 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-12-24 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've defined such an rc function:
> fn acmef { acme -f /lib/font/bit/fixed/unicode.8x13.font }
> and when I call this function I keep getting this error displayed
> repetively on the screen:
>
> grow segment 3 -> f00000 would overlap 0 [f000000-10000000]
>
> this happens both with p9p acme/rc and in 9vx.

i can't replicate this behavior on linux.  i don't see how it could happen
with p9p.

any chance your font or some of the attendent images are
broken?

are you using the latest 9vx?  on what os?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] fn oddity with acme
@ 2008-12-24 22:54   ` Mathieu Lonjaret
From: Mathieu Lonjaret @ 2008-12-24 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 7:04 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> I've defined such an rc function:
>> fn acmef { acme -f /lib/font/bit/fixed/unicode.8x13.font }
>> and when I call this function I keep getting this error displayed
>> repetively on the screen:
>>
>> grow segment 3 -> f00000 would overlap 0 [f000000-10000000]
>>
>> this happens both with p9p acme/rc and in 9vx.
>
> i can't replicate this behavior on linux.  i don't see how it could happen
> with p9p.
>
> any chance your font or some of the attendent images are
> broken?
>
> are you using the latest 9vx?  on what os?
>
> - erik

Ah sorry I had confused the various tests I did: the case where I
actually have this problem is if
I call the function acme itself, ie if I do
fn acme { acme -f /lib/font/bit/fixed/unicode.8x13.font }

If I call it acmef or whatever else, no problem, which seems less odd to me now.

Still, is that supposed to happen if I one uses for a function name
the one of a binary?

Mathieu

* Re: [9fans] fn oddity with acme
@ 2008-12-25  0:55     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-12-25  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Ah sorry I had confused the various tests I did: the case where I
> actually have this problem is if
> I call the function acme itself, ie if I do
> fn acme { acme -f /lib/font/bit/fixed/unicode.8x13.font }
>
> If I call it acmef or whatever else, no problem, which seems less odd to me now.

i think you wish

fn acme { builtin acme -f /lib/font/bit/fixed/unicode.8x13.font $*}

you ran out of stack space.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] fn oddity with acme
@ 2008-12-25 11:16       ` Mathieu Lonjaret
From: Mathieu Lonjaret @ 2008-12-25 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 1:55 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> Ah sorry I had confused the various tests I did: the case where I
>> actually have this problem is if
>> I call the function acme itself, ie if I do
>> fn acme { acme -f /lib/font/bit/fixed/unicode.8x13.font }
>>
>> If I call it acmef or whatever else, no problem, which seems less odd to me now.
>
> i think you wish
>
> fn acme { builtin acme -f /lib/font/bit/fixed/unicode.8x13.font $*}
>
> you ran out of stack space.
>
> - erik

Ah thanks, I would have never thought of using builtin in that case, I
thought that the word following builtin had to be an rc built-in
command.

Cheers,
Mathieu

--
GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net:

KeyID:   | Fingerprint:
683DE5F3 | 4324 5818 39AA 9545 95C6 09AF B0A4 DFEA 683D E5F3

* Re: [9fans] fn oddity with acme
@ 2008-12-27 17:04         ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-12-27 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> fn acme { builtin acme -f /lib/font/bit/fixed/unicode.8x13.font $*}
>
> Ah thanks, I would have never thought of using builtin in that case, I
> thought that the word following builtin had to be an rc built-in
> command.

I doubt that "builtin acme" was a planned feature of rc,
though it's a neat trick.  If you want to be clearer, you
could write /bin/acme.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] fn oddity with acme
@ 2008-12-27 19:09           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-12-27 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Ah thanks, I would have never thought of using builtin in that case, I
>> thought that the word following builtin had to be an rc built-in
>> command.
>
> I doubt that "builtin acme" was a planned feature of rc,
> though it's a neat trick.  If you want to be clearer, you
> could write /bin/acme.

on unix, this often wouldn't work since acme isn't usually
in /bin.  perhaps this is my particular symptom of unix brain
damage but, regardless of name, builtin just skips shell
functions in its lookup so its more than just a trick.

- erik