* Re: [9fans] plan9 on vmware esx
       [not found] <<20954.1254491102@lunacy.ugrad.cs.cmu.edu>
@ 2009-10-02 16:47 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-10-02 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Somehow my laptop gets by using 32-bit IP addresses regardless of
> whether it's on my home Ethernet, a dialup connection (rare these
> days in the U.S., still sometimes useful overseas), or on a
> wireless LAN.
>
> My landline phone and my cellular phone both use base-10 digits,
> and even the same number of digits!
>

> Hey, I know, let's name all disks by Ethernet MAC addresses :-)

if we did that, then we would never be able to have more
than one connection to the disk.  there needs to be a distinction
between the disks network address and the disk address if one
wishes to support multipathing for redundency or increased
bandwidth.

the sas wwn (also used in ata these days, btw) uniquely identifies
a target.  it's 8 bytes.  and looks for all the world like a mac address
with a 2-byte prefix (see contrib/quanstro oui).  one could identify
all scsi (modern) scsi drives by wwn and bury the topology inside
the scsi drivers.  that's typically what sas drives do.

this is all a bit convoluted.  aoe otoh has the advantage that
a lun's address is shelf.slot.  and the driver discovers mac addresses
on which the target is visable.  modulo driver bugs, one can
replug the network while doing io to a target and it just works.
one naturally gets multipathing by spreading out requests among
the mac addresses associated with a target.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on vmware esx
@ 2009-10-05 19:55     ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2009-10-05 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> if this is the case, it seems simple enough to fix.  can anyone confirm?
>
> Yes, I saw that problem as well.

Too long ago, I didn't keep notes.  But it's certainly possible.

++L

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on vmware esx
@ 2009-10-05 19:53           ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2009-10-05 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Anyway, I've been running Plan 9 servers on ESX 3.5 for a year or so.
> It is ESX 3.5.0, 153875, not ESXi though.

I've been running on ESXi for about as long.  But a CPU server, not a
workstation.

++L

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on vmware esx
       [not found] <<4ff6efe6c7ea3550ae2823dad8319d55@9netics.com>
@ 2009-10-05 13:33 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-10-05 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> interesting.  i just tried it and it works.  the admin tool
> (lab manager) wont allow the cd drive to be removed
> but assigning a .iso to it works as well.
>
> i wonder why?

probablly a problem with sdata.c.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on vmware esx
@ 2009-10-05  8:19       ` YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2009-10-05  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> but assigning a .iso to it works as well.

I don't know if this is related to the empty CD-ROM drive problem or not,
but ESX3.5 FDD is painfuly slow.  It takes a long time for a cpu
server to boot from floppy.
The booting process looked almost hanged up.
--

--
YAMANASHI Takeshi

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on vmware esx
@ 2009-10-05  6:38     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2009-10-05  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-10-05  6:04   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-10-05  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

       [not found] <<bf64731d0910042225p48cde43dkbc50fef20e2a59c8@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-10-05  5:30 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-10-05  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-10-05  5:25         ` YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2009-10-05  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 1:35 AM, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
> the installation completed but it is unable to get past fossil
> startup;

Do you have the CD-ROM drive attached to the VM while you boot it?

I remember Plan 9 didn't start when you have an empty CD-ROM drive
connected to the VM on ESX 3.5.  So I removed the CD-ROM drive from VM's
configuration after having installed Plan 9 into the BusLogic SCSI drive.

--
YAMANASHI Takeshi

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on vmware esx
@ 2009-10-02 16:35       ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2009-10-02 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-10-02 16:15     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2009-10-02 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Which version of ESX are you using?   ESX 3.5 provides two types of
> SCSI controllers.
> One is BusLogic and the other is LSI Logic which is the default.  If
> you change the
> controller type to BusLogic, Plan 9 should install on ESX without problems.

yes, switching to BusLogic did the trick. thanks.

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on vmware esx
@ 2009-10-02 13:57     ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2009-10-02 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-10-02 13:45   ` Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2009-10-02 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> the address of a scsi device will have depends on the protocol
> used for disk access.

Somehow my laptop gets by using 32-bit IP addresses regardless of
whether it's on my home Ethernet, a dialup connection (rare these
days in the U.S., still sometimes useful overseas), or on a
wireless LAN.

My landline phone and my cellular phone both use base-10 digits,
and even the same number of digits!

Hey, I know, let's name all disks by Ethernet MAC addresses :-)

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on vmware esx
@ 2009-10-02  8:08   ` YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2009-10-02  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,

>> vmware esx only supports scsi virtual drives.

Which version of ESX are you using?   ESX 3.5 provides two types of
SCSI controllers.
One is BusLogic and the other is LSI Logic which is the default.  If
you change the
controller type to BusLogic, Plan 9 should install on ESX without problems.

> http://www.........../pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_config_max.pdf
>
> IDE controllers per virtual machine: 1
> IDE devices per virtual machine : 4

ESX provides IDE controllers to its vm, but those are only for FDDS and CD-ROM
I suppose.

       [not found] <<18364.1254459813@lunacy.ugrad.cs.cmu.edu>
@ 2009-10-02  5:15 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-10-02  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Run in fear.
>
> Despite having a number which is just a wee bit higher than the
> things supported by the existing Plan 9 NCR/LSI SCSI driver,
> this is an utterly different beast, based on LSI's "Fusion"
> architecture, which in theory simplifies things vastly for the
> host over the old sequencer/script architecture, but all of the
> simplification is balanced out by vast complexity additions in
> other areas (addressing devices in terms of target and LUN is
> obsolete, so there are two or three other ways that devices can
> identify themselves, and a host is supposed to set up a mapping
> from long identifiers to short ones for, and for some reason I
> didn't get on first reading the host is supposed to use the same
> mapping across reboots).

regardless of what one things of the fusion architecture,
most of these complications are direct results about how
modern scsi works; any modern scsi driver will have the
same issues.  the address of a scsi device will have depends
on the protocol used for disk access.  sas for example
uses "sas addresses" aka a wwn.  if you avoid dealing with
expanders, sas simplifies quite a bit.  sdorion (contrib
quanstro/sd) is a "combined mode" driver.  combined mode
means that it is able to talk to either sata or sas hardware.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on vmware esx
@ 2009-10-02  5:03 ` Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2009-10-02  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 	1000/0030 LSI53C1020/1030 PCI-X to Ultra320 SCSI Controller

Run in fear.

Despite having a number which is just a wee bit higher than the
things supported by the existing Plan 9 NCR/LSI SCSI driver,
this is an utterly different beast, based on LSI's "Fusion"
architecture, which in theory simplifies things vastly for the
host over the old sequencer/script architecture, but all of the
simplification is balanced out by vast complexity additions in
other areas (addressing devices in terms of target and LUN is
obsolete, so there are two or three other ways that devices can
identify themselves, and a host is supposed to set up a mapping
from long identifiers to short ones for, and for some reason I
didn't get on first reading the host is supposed to use the same
mapping across reboots).

Also, I think that in addition to talking to disks over this
SCSI adaptor, you can also send network packets.

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] plan9 on vmware esx
@ 2009-10-02  3:54 ` 6o205zd02
From: 6o205zd02 @ 2009-10-02  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 16:30 -0700, Skip Tavakkolian 9nut-at-9netics.com
|9fans| wrote:
> vmware esx only supports scsi virtual drives.

What makes you think that?  According to the first page of
http://www.........../pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_config_max.pdf

IDE controllers per virtual machine: 1
IDE devices per virtual machine : 4

* [9fans] plan9 on vmware esx
@ 2009-10-01 23:30 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2009-10-01 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

vmware esx only supports scsi virtual drives. it appears to be:

	1000/0030 LSI53C1020/1030 PCI-X to Ultra320 SCSI Controller

so a new kernel with scsi support and a new cd image should fix it;
anything else to consider?

fyi, here's the pci output:

http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddxpv6x5_34dgrn4wgz