* [9fans] Help!
@ 2001-04-02  8:50 bawei
From: bawei @ 2001-04-02  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This is a program for testing.

#include <u.h>
#include <libc.h>
  int dfd[1000];
  int num;
int echo_server(void)
{
  int pid;
  int i;
  char buf[256];
  int lcfd;
  int clnum;
   char adir[40], ldir[40];
   int n;
  num=0;
  if(announce("tcp!*!8888", adir) < 0) return -1;
  for(;;){
    lcfd = listen(adir, ldir);//listen for a call
    if(lcfd < 0) return -1;
        dfd[num] = accept(lcfd, ldir);
       if(dfd[num] < 0) return -1;
        print("num : %d\n",dfd[num]);

      clnum=num;
      num++;
    pid = rfork(RFPROC|RFMEM);
    switch(pid){// fork a process to echo
      case 0:
      print("%s\n",ldir);
        while((n = read(dfd[clnum], buf, sizeof(buf))) > 0)      {for (i=0;i<num;i++)write(dfd[i], buf, n);   }
        exits(0);
      case -1:
        perror("forking");
      default:
        close(lcfd);
        break;
    }
  }
}
void main(){
  echo_server();
}

And I try to connect from my Windows.

term% 8.out
num : 5
/net/tcp/2
num : 6
/net/tcp/3
..
num : 99
8.out 1497: warning: process exceeds 100 file descriptors
..
num : 110
/net/tcp/106
8.out 1497: suicide: sys: trap: fault read addr=0x0 pc=0x00000000

Some other time I retry it.
term% 8.out
num : 5
/net/tcp/2
..
num : 515
/net/tcp/511

And cannot connect.
What's wrong?

Thanks.

* [9fans] Re: Help!
@ 2001-04-02 13:12 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-04-02 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

<bawei@yahoo.com> a crit dans le message news:
9a828r$981$1@news.netple.com...
> This is a program for testing.
> 8.out 1497: warning: process exceeds 100 file descriptors

dead giveaway.

now, this is just off the top of my head, but how about calling
close(dfd[num]);

debugging trivial user mode stuff shouldn't be the purpose of the group.

but hell, i don't work for bell.

--
Boyd Roberts        http://www.insultant.net        boyd@insultant.net

What do you know about surfing, Major?  You're from goddamn New Jersey.

    -- Lt. Colonel Kilgore

* Re: [9fans] Help!
@ 2008-01-22 17:01   ` Glenn Becker
From: Glenn Becker @ 2008-01-22 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I suggest nemo's book at http://9fans.net |
> http://lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf

Thanks for this, I'm having a "Stranger in a Strange Land" experience
similar to
that of the OP.

GB

* Re: [9fans] Help!
@ 2008-01-11 23:09 ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-01-11 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

There isn't a book on Plan 9 as there are many of UNIX (I plan to
write one), but here are some places to start; you should at least do
the first one first.

- Run the Live CD and run the live part. You will see a guide to
using Plan 9's rio windowing system and acme text editor; read those
in order.
- The Wiki, at http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/, is a wonderful
place to start. You will need to set up a new user once you install;
see http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Adding_a_new_user/
index.html for details. Just log on to user adm.
- Get a book on troff, which lets you write documents. http://
www.troff.org/ has some details on books, as well as a link to a free
one co-written by the founder of the O'Reilly publishing company;
available at http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/utp/
- Read the Wiki page on Unix to Plan 9 command translation: http://
plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Unix_to_Plan_9_command_translation/
index.html It also has some details on converting shell semantics and
files
- .profile is now lib/profile
- Type the command line
	page /sys/doc/rc.ps
   hit Enter, and read the guide to rc, the replacement for /bin/sh
- Anything that John says (he beat me to it)

On Jan 11, 2008, at 5:57 PM, clinton wrote:

> I've installed plan9 a few times and found it to be a complete
> mind-bender; it was more of a leap for me than deserting win95 for
> slackware. I know I should Read The Fine Manuals ... but which are the
> best ones to read first, and where do I find them? I've been an unix
> enthusiast for some time (but perhaps not as long as some of you) and
> I've been completely FAT-free for more than ten years now, so I'm not
> scared of a steep learning curve. I've read the theoretical documents
> about plan9; are there some sort of practical ones for newcomers?

* Re: [9fans] Help!
@ 2008-01-11 23:06 ` john
From: john @ 2008-01-11 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've installed plan9 a few times and found it to be a complete
> mind-bender; it was more of a leap for me than deserting win95 for
> slackware. I know I should Read The Fine Manuals ... but which are the
> best ones to read first, and where do I find them? I've been an unix
> enthusiast for some time (but perhaps not as long as some of you) and
> I've been completely FAT-free for more than ten years now, so I'm not
> scared of a steep learning curve. I've read the theoretical documents
> about plan9; are there some sort of practical ones for newcomers?

Oh, I had forgotten--nemo's book is in /sys/doc/9.intro.pdf and the link
I gave you in my first email has 9fans.net in there too because I sloppily
copied the topic from #plan9.
You can also take a look at the intro-style document I wrote for
the RIT Plan 9 system:
http://csplan9.rit.edu/users/john/RITintro.txt

John

* Re: [9fans] Help!
@ 2008-01-11 23:02 ` john
From: john @ 2008-01-11 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've installed plan9 a few times and found it to be a complete
> mind-bender; it was more of a leap for me than deserting win95 for
> slackware. I know I should Read The Fine Manuals ... but which are the
> best ones to read first, and where do I find them? I've been an unix
> enthusiast for some time (but perhaps not as long as some of you) and
> I've been completely FAT-free for more than ten years now, so I'm not
> scared of a steep learning curve. I've read the theoretical documents
> about plan9; are there some sort of practical ones for newcomers?

I suggest nemo's book at http://9fans.net | http://lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf
Beyond that, I can only suggest the stuff in /sys/doc, 9.ps in particular. The
acme paper is probably worth reading too. Nemo's book is the real
practical reference, though. That and 9fans.

John

* [9fans] Help!
@ 2008-01-11 22:57 clinton
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: clinton @ 2008-01-11 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-08-30 18:59   ` geerten kuiper
From: geerten kuiper @ 2001-08-30 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Nick,

> Ok, changed accounts so I uploaded it again. You should be able to get to
>it at www.pobox.com/~nickw/

I compiled vganvidia.c from this location into my kernel, no problem. But
nvidia.c plus riva_tbl.h into cmd/aux/vga (with changes to mkfile, data.c
and vga.h) resulted in syntax errors, starting from line 350. Glad you also
supplied the binary..
Any way, it works, including hardware acceleration. Thanks.

Geerten.

* Re: [9fans] help!
@ 2001-08-29 13:12 ` Nicholas Waples
From: Nicholas Waples @ 2001-08-29 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Lei Ding wrote:

> Note: I found that files on members.optusnet.com.au/~nwaples/binaries were
> deleted,so please tell me where to download

 Ok, changed accounts so I uploaded it again. You should be able to get to
it at www.pobox.com/~nickw/

* [9fans] help!
@ 2001-08-29  9:04 Lei Ding
From: Lei Ding @ 2001-08-29  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Currently I am using linux, But I found not stable.
So I decided to try pLan9, I am already downloaded the floppy and 60mb
tgz file.
But the floppy boots and then says sth. strange errrors stops.
Why?
Could any one tell me the whole process from a to z on how to install
plan9 on a nvidia tnt.
Note: I found that files on members.optusnet.com.au/~nwaples/binaries were
deleted,so please tell me where to download
My system:
Pentium3 450
64mb x 2
IBM 30g(7200rpm,IDE)
MSI 6199
Nvidia riva tnt

* Re: [9fans] HELP!
@ 2001-04-22 23:12 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-04-22 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>How do i create a password for new user?

on the console of the cpu server that's acting as authentication server,
use auth/changeuser (see changeuser(8)) to create the authentication file
entry for each new user.

* [9fans] HELP!
@ 2001-04-22 22:53 ` Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997
From: Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997 @ 2001-04-22 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Im on the virge of finishing, i think, the installation across four
computers but i am encountering a minor problem.

On the terminals i cannot log in without using the none username.
after i do a new user i cant use that.

How do i create a password for new user?
is this the problem

when i enter the password it says ?nomatch

thanks

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, David Lukes wrote:

> Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 15:18:03 +0100
> From: David Lukes <davel@luchie-chowchows.demon.co.uk>
> To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
> Subject: Re[2]: [9fans] X on Plan 9
>
> > I tired to get it to boot with bochs to no avail.
>      ^^   Freudian slip?:-)
> > from www.bochs.com :
>
> > might be interesting project for someone to port and then run win95
> > under plan9!
>
> <sickness-warning>
> For those with a strong stomach and a burning desire to support more hardware,
> this would also provide a way to poke around devices
> that have a win95 driver but no documentation/willing-manufacturer,
> with a view to writing drivers
>
> I seem to remember this approach has been used by someone
> writing a Linux driver,
> although I can't remember whether the attempt was actually successful ...
> </sickness-warning>
>
> 	Dave.

* Re: [9fans] Help!
@ 2001-04-02 13:16 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-04-02 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bawei, 9fans

	8.out 1497: warning: process exceeds 100 file descriptors

That's just a warning.  It's almost always a mistake to have this
many open.  You can take the warning out of the kernel or push it
to complain at a higher number if you want.

	8.out 1497: suicide: sys: trap: fault read addr=0x0 pc=0x00000000

I can't say with certainty.  Did you happen to change and recompile/relink
the program while you were running it?  This isn't Unix, i.e., the file server
doesn't keep the old version of the file around for anyone that might have it
open.  It looks like a return through a zeroed stack which is almost always
a binary that's been rewritten or an array boundary violation on a stack
variable.  One of the debuggers (acid or db) will help with the latter case
though you may have to manually dump the stack.

	/net/tcp/511

	And cannot connect.
	What's wrong?

We have a fixed maximum number of tcp connections.  You can increase the number by
recompiling the kernel.  In /sys/src/9/ip/tcp.c look at the last routine,
tcpinit, and change Nchans to something bigger.  Or if you want to have more
possible connections for all protocols, change the definition of Nchans in
/sys/src/9/ip/ip.h.  Changing the number eats up little memory if you never
use the connections.