* [9fans] ATA oddities
@ 2010-04-18  9:17 lucio
From: lucio @ 2010-04-18  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Just out of curiosity, seeing as most of my equipment is antiquated,
to say the least...

I'm using a PATA drive with the old low-density cabling connecting the
master and slave drives.  The master drive is Fujitsu MPE3054AT and
the slave is a CD-writer.  First I got read and write errors from
fossil.  When I rebooted, the CD wasn't there.  It came back when I
power cycled.

I have been running flchk and it went smoothly (no errors detected)
until I decide to turn DMA on (something that applied to my first
efforts).  The following error appeared (manual):

	sdata: command C8
	data f004c200 limit f004c400 dlen 512 status 0 error 0
	lba 205120 -> 205120, count 1 -> 1 (1)

It seems that flchk is continuing.

Of course, I'll replace the cable and possibly alter the jumper
settings on the master drive to make sure it is aware of the slave.
But perhaps there is something less obvious here that I need to know?

++L

* Re: [9fans] ATA oddities
@ 2010-04-18  9:45 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2010-04-18  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, 9fans

> The master drive is Fujitsu MPE3054AT and
> the slave is a CD-writer.

MPE3464AT, I stand corrected.  The flchk operation had jammed solid
and I did have a jumper missing to indicate that there was a slave
drive attached.

I have added the jumper and replaced the cable with a high-density
variety (the 80-conductor type).  Let's see what happens now.

++L