* Re: [9fans] afd in mount(2)
@ 2002-07-10  6:46 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-07-10  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

venti is currently optional--i don't use it yet myself--and factotum looks
after itself (you'll see a few different prompts, but otherwise it
doesn't require care and attention).  one difference for
authentication is that authdom= auth= pairs are needed in
/lib/ndb/local for each authentication domain you need.
	auth=sources.cs.bell-labs.com authdom=outside.plan9.bell-labs.com
for instance.

if you've written your own file servers, you'll have some work to do.
there are big differences in the C libraries and programming
interface.  see /sys/doc/release4.ps and /sys/doc/prog4.ps
to see where to start.

the file server kernel source is a little more convenient for configuration
compared to the previous release.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1671 bytes --]

From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] afd in mount(2)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 15:28:32 +0900

>see /sys/doc/auth.ps for more information.

Thanks a lot.

I remind now someone also recommended to read this document.
It'll take some more time to me to introduce new networked Plan 9
system here.   factotum, venti, .. anything else?

Kenji-- hate using anything beyond my comprehension  :-)

* Re: [9fans] afd in mount(2)
@ 2002-07-10  7:01 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-07-10  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks again.

I'm now printing those ps files using your bsdlp program from
partially connected kfs based Release 4 machine.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] afd in mount(2)
@ 2002-07-10  6:28 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-07-10  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-07-10  6:04 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-07-10  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it was done to remove all details of the authentication procedure
from both protocol and kernel.  see /sys/doc/auth.ps for more
information.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1632 bytes --]

From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] afd in mount(2)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:45:40 +0900

What's the difference of authentication scheme between release 3 and 4?
In release 3, if we can open connection to a file server, we don't need
authetication every time, and just call mount() without afd.

Why afd is neccessary in release 4's mount(2)?

Kenji

* [9fans] afd in mount(2)
@ 2002-07-10  5:45 okamoto