* [9fans] (no subject)
@ 2004-02-17 14:26 David Presotto
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Presotto @ 2004-02-17 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think taking out the counts in the stats of streaming files was a mistake.
Even though we have fd2path, there is not path that yields another file to get
this info for pipes since pipes aren't in your namespace and I don't think putting
them in the ns is a good idea.  I'm going to put the counts back, but with a
vengeance.  Before it only worked for uarts, pipes, and tcp connections.  This
time I'll make it work for all streamed connections.

As for telling whether a file is seekable, I'm finding myself leaning toward
what I didn't like before, i.e., info that comes out of dirfstat.  However I'ld
prefer the flag say that files are streaming rather than seekable so that I
don't have to change as much (in fact only what I have to change anyways).

Comments?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 715 bytes --]

From: Geoff Collyer <geoff@collyer.net>
To: 9trouble@plan9.bell-labs.com
Subject: not reporting queue length in stat length breaks event(2)
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:25:22 -0800

I think we should revert to the old behaviour.  ecanread(),
for example, is now never true because it looks at the stat length
of a pipe.  I think the old behaviour is just too useful to lose.