* [9fans] Wireless PCI Card
@ 2007-06-06  8:17 Rodolfo (kix)
From: Rodolfo (kix) @ 2007-06-06  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi!

I need a WiFi PCI Card. Any common (cheap) card?

Saludos.

--
Rodolfo García "kix"
EA4ERH - IN80ER

* Re: [9fans] Wireless PCI Card
@ 2007-06-06  8:30 ` W B Hacker
From: W B Hacker @ 2007-06-06  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Rodolfo (kix) wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I need a WiFi PCI Card. Any common (cheap) card?
>
> Saludos.

Presume you mean 'Plan9 supported' WiFi device?

Suggest searching the archives...

Bill

* Re: [9fans] Wireless PCI Card
@ 2007-06-06  9:29   ` Rodolfo (kix)
From: Rodolfo (kix) @ 2007-06-06  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Yes, Plan9 supported hardware.

In the wiki "Supported hardware" page, I saw some devices (mostly
PCMCIA), but I am not sure if I can find in the shops or if is old
hardware, if is PCI, ...

--
Rodolfo García "kix"
EA4ERH - IN80ER

* Re: [9fans] Wireless PCI Card
@ 2007-06-06 18:29     ` W B Hacker
From: W B Hacker @ 2007-06-06 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Rodolfo (kix) wrote:
> Yes, Plan9 supported hardware.
>
> In the wiki "Supported hardware" page, I saw some devices (mostly
> PCMCIA), but I am not sure if I can find in the shops or if is old
> hardware, if is PCI, ...

WiFi is probably easiest to find as USB, which you probably already have sockets
for, then Cardbus/PCMCIA. PCI WiFi cards were never all that common.

JM2CW, but instead of a PCI WiFi card, you might want to put in a PCI card that
provides a PCMCIA slot. More flexible use that way.

There are also IDE cable to multi-socket PCMCIA, CF and other card adaptors,
some in FDD housings, others just 'loose'.

HTH

Bill

> 2007/6/6, W B Hacker <wbh@conducive.org>:
>> Rodolfo (kix) wrote:
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > I need a WiFi PCI Card. Any common (cheap) card?
>> >
>> > Saludos.
>> >

>> Presume you mean 'Plan9 supported' WiFi device?
>>
>> Suggest searching the archives...
>>
>> Bill

* Re: [9fans] Wireless PCI Card
@ 2007-06-06 18:59       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-06-06 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Jun  6 14:29:11 EDT 2007, wbh@conducive.org wrote:
> WiFi is probably easiest to find as USB, which you probably already have sockets
> for, then Cardbus/PCMCIA. PCI WiFi cards were never all that common.

you can get 'em at wallmart and best buy.  i think that qualifies as common.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Wireless PCI Card
@ 2007-06-06 20:06         ` W B Hacker
From: W B Hacker @ 2007-06-06 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

erik quanstrom wrote:
> On Wed Jun  6 14:29:11 EDT 2007, wbh@conducive.org wrote:
>> WiFi is probably easiest to find as USB, which you probably already have sockets
>> for, then Cardbus/PCMCIA. PCI WiFi cards were never all that common.
>
> you can get 'em at wallmart and best buy.  i think that qualifies as common.
>
> - erik

Depends on what *country* one is in.

AFAIK Rodolfo is somewhere in Spain.

Madrid or Bilbao probably have the best selection there.  Oviedo, Santander,
Gijon - from experience - are not so well served.

Bill

* Re: [9fans] Wireless PCI Card
@ 2007-06-07 11:23       ` Paweł Lasek
From: Paweł Lasek @ 2007-06-07 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/6/07, W B Hacker <wbh@conducive.org> wrote:
> Rodolfo (kix) wrote:
> > Yes, Plan9 supported hardware.
> >
> > In the wiki "Supported hardware" page, I saw some devices (mostly
> > PCMCIA), but I am not sure if I can find in the shops or if is old
> > hardware, if is PCI, ...
> >

> There are also IDE cable to multi-socket PCMCIA, CF and other card adaptors,
> some in FDD housings, others just 'loose'.

However this won't support non-data PCMCIA cards, so it wouldn't help.
I have yet to hear about someone making IDE interface to anything
other than storage,
and PCMCIA and CF cards have an IDE mode which is used for
flash/microdrives. But you can't control WiFi with IDE.

--
Paul Lasek

* Re: [9fans] Wireless PCI Card
@ 2007-06-07 15:22         ` W B Hacker
From: W B Hacker @ 2007-06-07 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Paweł Lasek wrote:
> On 6/6/07, W B Hacker <wbh@conducive.org> wrote:
>> Rodolfo (kix) wrote:
>> > Yes, Plan9 supported hardware.
>> >
>> > In the wiki "Supported hardware" page, I saw some devices (mostly
>> > PCMCIA), but I am not sure if I can find in the shops or if is old
>> > hardware, if is PCI, ...
>> >

>> There are also IDE cable to multi-socket PCMCIA, CF and other card
>> adaptors,
>> some in FDD housings, others just 'loose'.
>
> However this won't support non-data PCMCIA cards, so it wouldn't help.
> I have yet to hear about someone making IDE interface to anything
> other than storage,

Google will find you some...

> and PCMCIA and CF cards have an IDE mode which is used for
> flash/microdrives. But you can't control WiFi with IDE.
>
>> HTH
>>
>> Bill

Granted, the 'bus attached' (PCI) PCMCIA/Cardbus adapter is more flexible.

And agreed there is not a lot of stuff marketed that uses IDE for other than HDD
or their emulators, but that is convention and sparse interest in doing
otherwise, not a technical limitation.

An IDE channel is just another 'mildly specialized' parallel port at the
hardware level.  One can do a great deal with those with a bit of coding.

Bill

* Re: [9fans] Wireless PCI Card
@ 2007-06-07 17:25           ` Paweł Lasek
From: Paweł Lasek @ 2007-06-07 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/7/07, W B Hacker <wbh@conducive.org> wrote:
> Paweł Lasek wrote:
> > However this won't support non-data PCMCIA cards, so it wouldn't help.
> > I have yet to hear about someone making IDE interface to anything
> > other than storage,
>
> Google will find you some...

> Granted, the 'bus attached' (PCI) PCMCIA/Cardbus adapter is more flexible.
>
> And agreed there is not a lot of stuff marketed that uses IDE for other than HDD
> or their emulators, but that is convention and sparse interest in doing
> otherwise, not a technical limitation.
>
> An IDE channel is just another 'mildly specialized' parallel port at the
> hardware level.  One can do a great deal with those with a bit of coding.

Okey, I meant something that can be easily used without preparing a
driver (I haven't seen driver for such a think in Plan9). I know that
you can do pretty much everything - the question is when is this level
of tinkering sensible. I think that I can remake a K7 motherboard into
EV6 Alpha machine with less trouble (Except for making those DDR
signals arrive at exact times... then you just need to reflash the
bios with SRM :D)

--
Paul Lasek