* [9fans] supermicro dual P3 works
@ 2004-12-06 10:06 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2004-12-06 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For the archives; I have finally made my Dual P3 to be reliable.

I had two problems:
It appears to need P133 RAM even though the bus runs at 100Mhz.

An unreliable NTP source that caused my clock to occasionally jump back
3 weeks - and when it jumped forward again, cron started all the missed tasks,
giving "no procs" on the console.

I have submitted a patch to cron making it catch up just the
last days worth of missed tasks, and I now use three NTP sources.

Thanks to all those who gave advice.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] supermicro dual P3 works
@ 2004-12-06 14:14 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-12-06 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ugh, i thought that cron bug was fixed in 2003?!

andrey

* Re: [9fans] supermicro dual P3 works
@ 2004-12-10  5:32 ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-12-10  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> For the archives; I have finally made my Dual P3 to be reliable.
>
> I had two problems:
> It appears to need P133 RAM even though the bus runs at 100Mhz.

After I read your post, I've been trying to find a chance to test our
dual P3(550MHz) terminal again, and at last, today, I found time for it.

The machine (old Tekram P6B40D-A5 motherboard with dual Slot 1☺
Pen III(550MHz)) has been running just by single CPU, because it once worked
for dual Pen 3, but I had problem in stability for a long time.  I forgot
what I did when it became unstable...

Then, today, I changed a RAM card from 133MHz to a 133MHz another one,
and now it has 512MB RAM, and running just for a terminal.   Yes, it
gets stable once again.   So, I must have changed a memory card from
someone 133MHz to someone similar, but somewhat different.
Anyway, now I have a dual Pen3(550MHz) terminal again.   Thanks Steve to give
me a hint to deal with it.

Kenji