* [9fans] CD-ROM drive that plugs into SoundBlaster?
@ 2001-10-30 17:44 Matt Senecal
From: Matt Senecal @ 2001-10-30 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm building a terminal out of a '486 (and taking a walk down memory lane!).
The only CD-ROM drive I have left is one that plugs into a SoundBlaster 16.
Can Plan 9 use one of these drives?

* Re: [9fans] CD-ROM drive that plugs into SoundBlaster?
@ 2001-10-31  0:03 ` Ian Cooper
From: Ian Cooper @ 2001-10-31  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm building a terminal out of a '486 (and taking a walk down memory lane!).
> The only CD-ROM drive I have left is one that plugs into a SoundBlaster 16.
> Can Plan 9 use one of these drives?

Is the SB16 just acting as a SCSI controller?  I had a Pro Audio
Spectrum 16 sound card that worked that way with an old SCSI 2X CD-ROM
for a 486-66

* Re: [9fans] CD-ROM drive that plugs into SoundBlaster?
@ 2001-10-31 16:06   ` Matt Senecal
From: Matt Senecal @ 2001-10-31 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I haven't a clue. The drive was a hand-me-down that came attached to
the SB card, and I have yet to ID it.

@ 2001-10-31 18:13   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-10-31 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Ian Cooper wrote:
> Is the SB16 just acting as a SCSI controller?

There have been three SB16 CD-ROM interfaces of which I
am aware: a Toshiba-specific I/F, an IDE I/F, and a SCSI
I/F.  Generally speaking these require special drivers and
have thus not been widely supported by non-Microsoft OSes.

* Re: [9fans] CD-ROM drive that plugs into SoundBlaster?
@ 2001-11-01  9:46     ` Matt Senecal
From: Matt Senecal @ 2001-11-01  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Ok, here's what I've found out: the card I've got has a Panasonic/MKE
interface, and the drive plugged into it can only be run through that
interface. Looks like I'm out of luck!

@ 2001-10-30 18:14 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-10-30 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Oct 30 13:05:30 EST 2001, msenecal@inri.com wrote:
> I'm building a terminal out of a '486 (and taking a walk down memory lane!).
> The only CD-ROM drive I have left is one that plugs into a SoundBlaster 16.
> Can Plan 9 use one of these drives?

There were lots of different flavours of CD-ROM on the Soundblaster,
you'd need to be more specific as to the Soundblaster and CD-ROM type
(there's a code on the corner of the Soundblaster card which you can
use to identify the model on the Creative website. The Plan 9 2nd
Edition had support for some of those cards, but not all; the drivers
were never updated and are not included in the current release.

As Russ says, ATAPI controllers and drives can be had for pracatically
nothing.

* Re: [9fans] CD-ROM drive that plugs into SoundBlaster?
@ 2001-10-30 18:09 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-10-30 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm building a terminal out of a '486 (and taking a walk down memory lane!).
> The only CD-ROM drive I have left is one that plugs into a SoundBlaster 16.
> Can Plan 9 use one of these drives?

Sorry, no luck. Any of the standard ATAPI CD readers will
work, though, and they're remarkably cheap these days.

Russ