* RE: [9fans] vga hell: S3 Trio3d/2x
@ 2000-09-22  7:43 Stephen Parker
From: Stephen Parker @ 2000-09-22  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '9fans@cse.psu.edu'

> From: Russ Cox [mailto:rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com]
> 	Apologies for yet another tedious vga question.
> 	Anyone tried or had any luck with a S3 Trio3D/2X?
> I'm not sure we've ever tried. I think it should
> either just work or work with minimal changes:
> the Trio3D/2X should behave as a Trio64.

I tried using the Trio64 configuration in the distributed vgadb with no
luck.

Is there a way to install from the vitanuova cd without vga,
I fancy my chances more at working this out with the source available.

Thanks,
stephen

* Re: [9fans] vga hell: S3 Trio3d/2x
@ 2000-09-25  9:23 ` liquidsphear
From: liquidsphear @ 2000-09-25  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <20000921131935.4CBDD199EA@mail>,
  9fans@cse.psu.edu wrote:
> 	Apologies for yet another tedious vga question.
> 	Anyone tried or had any luck with a S3 Trio3D/2X?
>
> I'm not sure we've ever tried. I think it should
> either just work or work with minimal changes:
> the Trio3D/2X should behave as a Trio64.
> It's certain that you'd have to edit /lib/vgadb
> to add a magic string to identify your card.
>
> Russ
>
> Yes, exact dame thing happened to me. That's how I fixed it. Well, on
the boot disk anyway, still messen with /lib/vgadb -- ed's a pain ;)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* RE: [9fans] vga hell: S3 Trio3d/2x
@ 2000-09-22  9:33 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-09-22  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

yes, there will be.  the installation procedure simply takes you step by step
through something you can do by hand.  given a shell prompt, you can prepare
the destination device (eg, using disk/fdisk) and unpack the archive using gunzip |disk/mkext
(note that there are special options to be used to disk/fdisk and disk/mkext, so it's
not completely straightforward).  we did something similar to upgrade our file servers
to third edition.  the scripts controlling the graphical installation
process are in /sys/lib/pcdist/inst (for reference).  we can probably reduce that to
essential commands.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2240 bytes --]

From: Stephen Parker <stephen.parker@pitechnology.com>
To: "'9fans@cse.psu.edu'" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: RE: [9fans] vga hell: S3 Trio3d/2x
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 08:43:32 +0100

@ 2000-09-21 13:19 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-09-21 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	Apologies for yet another tedious vga question.
	Anyone tried or had any luck with a S3 Trio3D/2X?

I'm not sure we've ever tried. I think it should
either just work or work with minimal changes:
the Trio3D/2X should behave as a Trio64.
It's certain that you'd have to edit /lib/vgadb
to add a magic string to identify your card.

Russ

* [9fans] vga hell: S3 Trio3d/2x
@ 2000-09-21 10:17 Stephen Parker