* RE: [9fans] new install hangs in termrc
@ 2004-06-22 11:25 Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2004-06-22 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I have just installed a new machine. The floppy boot and
> download went fine, but when I boot from disk and login as
> glenda for the first time it hangs. I get the starting
> /bin/rc message but never see rio start.

Have you messed around with /rc/bin/termrc?
It may be waiting for a DHCP server to respond, if you uncommented
the ip/ipconfig -d line.

* Re: [9fans] new install hangs in termrc
@ 2004-06-22 10:03 ` matt
From: matt @ 2004-06-22 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi steve,

did you try booting it from the CD rom ?

this uses no disk access

* [9fans] new install hangs in termrc
@ 2004-06-22  9:22 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2004-06-22  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I have just installed a new machine. The floppy boot and download
went fine, but when I boot from disk and login as glenda for the
first time it hangs. I get the starting /bin/rc message but never
see rio start.

I had a probe around in the BIOS but cannot turn off USB (which has helped
in the past). I tried removing the ether card as this is not needed
just to boot but that makes no difference.

Rebooting from floppy and adding 'flag x +' to the top of
/n/fossil/rc/bin/termrc I see it hangs on timesync...

I commented out timesync and then it hangs on binding devices into /dev
(the fatal one appears to be sigma). Commenting this out just moves the
problem again but dosent solve it.

If i leave the machine to run for hours in its hung state eventually
I see:
	diskWriteRaw failed date=xxxxxx part=3 addr=0; i/o error
at a rate of one every couple of hours.

If I set init=/386/bin/rc in /n/a:/plan9.ini then I can get a shell
prompt but just doing things like cd and ls is enough to get it to
hang again.

The machine is:
	ASUS P4T-F motherboard
		[http://uk.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4T-F&langs=11]
	3Com 3C905CX-TXM ether card
	Symbios 53C875J SCSI controller
	nVidia AGP graphics card (no model number, but see attached).

I have attached pci.txt, irqalloc.txt and ioalloc.txt.

The machine is a bit funny as it has DDR ram and the disk
is Very fast but these shouldn't effect it sould they?

My next step is to try a trusty s3 graphics card. My nightmare
is that the scsi card is duff (not so easy to find).

I suspose I'am hoping somone has had similar problems before?

-Steve