* Re: [9fans] 9front VMX
@ 2018-09-10 18:09 sl
From: sl @ 2018-09-10 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, you get full graphics, but performance is terrible (the frame buffer is emulated entirely in software). You can run any browser, and everything works, but probably not fast enough for regular use. I have used Chromium in a pinch to login to Patreon, PayPal, etc.

Gimp also works fine (if very, very slowly). I have used it to make edits to 9front propaganda.

sl

* Re: [9fans] 9front VMX
@ 2018-09-10 18:10   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2018-09-10 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Also, Windows NT support! nice touch :)

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 10:00 AM Skip Tavakkolian <
skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com> wrote:

> Very cool!
>
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 8:02 AM <sl@9front.org> wrote:
>
>> vmx(1) documentation in the dash1:
>>
>>         http://fqa.9front.org/fqa8.html#8.7.5.1
>>
>> script i use to run openbsd:
>>
>>         http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/rc/openbsd
>>
>> in my setup opensd is the first hard drive and 9front
>> is the second. vmx(1) runs openbsd from the hard drive
>> installation.
>>
>> note: performance is terrible.
>>
>> sl

* Re: [9fans] 9front VMX
@ 2018-09-10 18:09         ` Nick Owens
From: Nick Owens @ 2018-09-10 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

while we're on the subject, here's a half-assed script called
'inception' to boot your 9front kernel in a vmx instance on a terminal
while sharing the host's fs.

#!/bin/rc
# inception

rfork ne

ramfs

ip=`{ndb/query sys $sysname ip}

aux/listen1 -t 'tcp!*!564' /bin/exportfs -r /root &

cat >/tmp/plan9.ini << EOF
user=$user
fs=$ip
auth=$ip
mouseport=ps2
nobootprompt=tcp

EOF

vmx -v 800x600 -n ether0 -m /tmp/plan9.ini /amd64/9pc64
On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 11:05 AM Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 06:57:29PM +0100, Steve Simon wrote:
> > is there any graphics support? would it be usable to run a browser? dillo talking to a framebuffer maybe?
> >
> > ever hopefull of getting modern browser support in plan9...
> >
> > -Steve
>

> This is documented in the linked fqa section.
>
> http://fqa.9front.org/openbsdvmweb.png
>
> Note:  when sl said performance is terrible, this is what he was talking
> about.
>
> khm

* Re: [9fans] 9front VMX
@ 2018-09-10 18:07 ` Dave MacFarlane
From: Dave MacFarlane @ 2018-09-10 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've always found performance to be terrible for OpenBSD even on
physical hardware, so I can't really hold that against vmx..

- Dave

* Re: [9fans] 9front VMX
@ 2018-09-10 18:04       ` Ori Bernstein
From: Ori Bernstein @ 2018-09-10 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 18:57:29 +0100
Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:

> is there any graphics support? would it be usable to run a browser? dillo talking to a framebuffer maybe?
>
> ever hopefull of getting modern browser support in plan9...
>
> -Steve

Chrome and Firefox work, if you're willing to wait as the screen
repaints.

--
Ori Bernstein <ori@eigenstate.org>

* Re: [9fans] 9front VMX
@ 2018-09-10 18:02       ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2018-09-10 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2018-09-10 18:00       ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2018-09-10 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

yes to all 4

* Re: [9fans] 9front VMX
@ 2018-09-10 17:57     ` Steve Simon
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Steve Simon @ 2018-09-10 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

is there any graphics support? would it be usable to run a browser? dillo talking to a framebuffer maybe?

ever hopefull of getting modern browser support in plan9...

-Steve

> On 10 Sep 2018, at 6:03 pm, G B <g_patrickb@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you.
>
> On Monday, September 10, 2018, 12:02:23 PM CDT, Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Very cool!
>
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 8:02 AM <sl@9front.org> wrote:
> vmx(1) documentation in the dash1:
>
>         http://fqa.9front.org/fqa8.html#8.7.5.1
>
> script i use to run openbsd:
>
>         http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/rc/openbsd
>
> in my setup opensd is the first hard drive and 9front
> is the second. vmx(1) runs openbsd from the hard drive
> installation.
>
> note: performance is terrible.
>
> sl

* Re: [9fans] 9front VMX
@ 2018-09-10 17:03   ` G B
From: G B @ 2018-09-10 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2018-09-10 17:00 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2018-09-10 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Very cool!

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 8:02 AM <sl@9front.org> wrote:

> vmx(1) documentation in the dash1:
>
>         http://fqa.9front.org/fqa8.html#8.7.5.1
>
> script i use to run openbsd:
>
>         http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/rc/openbsd
>
> in my setup opensd is the first hard drive and 9front
> is the second. vmx(1) runs openbsd from the hard drive
> installation.
>
> note: performance is terrible.
>
> sl

* Re: [9fans] 9front VMX
@ 2018-09-10 15:02 sl
From: sl @ 2018-09-10 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

vmx(1) documentation in the dash1:

	http://fqa.9front.org/fqa8.html#8.7.5.1

script i use to run openbsd:

	http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/rc/openbsd

in my setup opensd is the first hard drive and 9front
is the second. vmx(1) runs openbsd from the hard drive
installation.

note: performance is terrible.

sl

* [9fans] 9front VMX
       [not found] <1055024213.127625.1536584692867.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2018-09-10 13:04 ` G B
From: G B @ 2018-09-10 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm interested in trying to run OpenBSD using VMX on 9front.? Can someone give me an example of how I'd set this up and run it?
% vmx -M 128 -n ether0 bsd
Where "bsd" is the OpenBSD 6.2 kernel.? I must be missing more to it than just this?? Thanks for any help.