* [9fans] [plan9mod] Plan9 under VirtualBox
@ 2010-11-18 11:14 Artem Novikov
From: Artem Novikov @ 2010-11-18 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Good day!
I'm trying to install the system on VirtualBox, but the process is
very slow. Is this normal?

* Re: [9fans] [plan9mod] Plan9 under VirtualBox
@ 2010-11-18 11:54 ` Robert Ransom
From: Robert Ransom @ 2010-11-18 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:14:51 GMT
Artem Novikov <novikovag@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good day!
> I'm trying to install the system on VirtualBox, but the process is
> very slow. Is this normal?

When I tried it, installing Plan 9 in VBox was horribly slow;
installing it directly on hardware was somewhat slow, but not nearly as
bad as in VBox.

This is clearly a VBox bug, as there were reports in the VBox forums
and/or bug tracker that booting OpenSolaris was horribly slow as well.

Robert Ransom

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [9fans] [plan9mod] Plan9 under VirtualBox
@ 2010-11-18 16:15   ` David Leimbach
       [not found]     ` <475c2b52-69d7-40fd-a8b9-620226acf53d@v23g2000vbi.googlegroups.co>
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-11-18 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Can you select a SCSI disk instead of ATA?  I've found this makes a world of
difference on VMWare.

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 3:54 AM, Robert Ransom <rransom.8774@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:14:51 GMT
> Artem Novikov <novikovag@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Good day!
> > I'm trying to install the system on VirtualBox, but the process is
> > very slow. Is this normal?
>
> When I tried it, installing Plan 9 in VBox was horribly slow;
> installing it directly on hardware was somewhat slow, but not nearly as
> bad as in VBox.
>
> This is clearly a VBox bug, as there were reports in the VBox forums
> and/or bug tracker that booting OpenSolaris was horribly slow as well.
>

> Robert Ransom

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 under VirtualBox
@ 2010-11-19 10:11     ` Artem Novikov
       [not found]     ` <475c2b52-69d7-40fd-a8b9-620226acf53d@v23g2000vbi.googlegroups.co>
From: Artem Novikov @ 2010-11-19 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 18 ноя, 23:17, leim...@gmail.com (David Leimbach) wrote:
> Can you select a SCSI disk instead of ATA?  I've found this makes a world of
> difference on VMWare.
>
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 3:54 AM, Robert Ransom <rransom.8...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:14:51 GMT
> > Artem Novikov <noviko...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Good day!
> > > I'm trying to install the system on VirtualBox, but the process is
> > > very slow. Is this normal?
>
> > When I tried it, installing Plan 9 in VBox was horribly slow;
> > installing it directly on hardware was somewhat slow, but not nearly as
> > bad as in VBox.
>
> > This is clearly a VBox bug, as there were reports in the VBox forums
> > and/or bug tracker that booting OpenSolaris was horribly slow as well.
>
> > Robert Ransom

Thanks all.

David Leimbach
No, I just tried the IDE controller: PIIX4 and ICH6 types, no
difference. But only DMA not support message under Plan9 installation
if ICH6 selected. I'll try to experiment with SCSI.

Robert Ransom
Maybe it's VBox bug. But what type of bug, is any assumption?

@ 2010-11-19 15:50       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-11-19 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> David Leimbach
> No, I just tried the IDE controller: PIIX4 and ICH6 types, no
> difference. But only DMA not support message under Plan9 installation
> if ICH6 selected. I'll try to experiment with SCSI.

you might try 9atom (ftp://ftp.quanstro.net/other/9atom.iso.bz2).  it
may handle this fakey fakey controller better.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 under VirtualBox
@ 2010-11-22 10:28         ` Artem Novikov
From: Artem Novikov @ 2010-11-22 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 19 ноя, 23:27, quans...@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) wrote:
> > David Leimbach
> > No, I just tried the IDE controller: PIIX4 and ICH6 types, no
> > difference. But only DMA not support message under Plan9 installation
> > if ICH6 selected. I'll try to experiment with SCSI.
>
> you might try 9atom (ftp://ftp.quanstro.net/other/9atom.iso.bz2).  it
> may handle this fakey fakey controller better.
>
> - erik

I played with number of settings, but result is same - very slow. I
switched to QUEMU, and seems Plan9 work fine under it.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 under VirtualBox
@ 2010-11-22 13:25           ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2010-11-22 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs