* [9fans] Installation woes
@ 2011-03-31 19:14 John Preston
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: John Preston @ 2011-03-31 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

* [9fans] Installation woes
@ 2011-03-31 19:26 ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2011-03-31 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

1. I can't help you there
2. If you can use kvm+kqemu, that will speed disk speed, &c (that's been my
experience). I couldn't do networking for some reason that had to do with my
wireless card.
3. VirtualBox is known to mostly not work, though some people have managed
to get it to. Vmware should work. There's a wiki page about it, you may want
to look at that. I just did an install with vmware workstation that works
great.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [9fans] Installation woes
@ 2011-03-31 19:42 ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2011-03-31 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 1. making USB installation media;

See the EXAMPLE section of prep(8).

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/8/prep

Of course, you need a running Plan 9 and a little
knowledge about the installation process.

--
David du Colombier

* [9fans] Installation woes
@ 2011-04-01  1:38 ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2011-04-01  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

For what its worth.

My install on a real hardware was also extremely slow, but after  i enabled
dma it is very much usable. venti and everything
I use virtualbox on several machines including a macbook white and and an
old hp dc7700 and its also very much usable also.
another thing to note is i am using erik's 9atom distro for all my
installation.

There is also 9vx which i used before. If you only need the plan9 tools then
plan9port is an easy way to get them.

@ 2000-06-16  9:09 CoolVibe
From: CoolVibe @ 2000-06-16  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hey,

Kudo to the folks at bell-labs, for opening up on this one!

Okay, for years I wanted to play around on this system, but when I try to
install it on a fairly generic machine with a Matrox G200, or a S3
Trio64V+ (A generic one, not Diamond), they both hang after 'dossrv:
serving #s/dos', after fiddling with vgadb (just kludging in the
values/offsets that vgainfo gives). Without doing this, rio won't even
start, and just spits out what ends up in vgainfo.txt.

Seems that VGA is my only hurdle here. Hope the driver support gets
better. I'm still very anctious about trying this out.

Oh, and another thing. It would be really nice if this puppy could run in
VMWare. Check http://www.vmware.com/ for more information. This way,
people without the right hardware can still develop software for plan9 in
a virtual machine.

Cheers,
CoolVibe