* Re: [9fans] configure a plan9 cpu+file+auth server
@ 2010-05-14 19:21 ruel hernandez
From: ruel hernandez @ 2010-05-14 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > But, when i got home this morning, i tried to reproduce
> > the problem at my home plan9 installation and i didn't face the
> > same problem. and i was able to go through the first step.
> > the only difference is;
> > my home installation was from sept. 2009 iso and
> > my installation at work is from april 24 2010
> > could this be a problem on my installation cd?
>
> either (a) use fossilcons(8) to change permissions or
> (b) use fossilcons to serve your filesystem with with
> permission checking disabled.
>
> - erik
>

> sorry for my ignorance of fossilcons(8) i'll go and read it first.

at my home installation:
% grep $user /admin/users
glenda:glenda:glenda
sys:sys::glenda

at my work installation:
% grep $user /admin/users
glenda:glenda:glenda

why they are different? have i done something
wrong  or missed something on the installation here?

i just did the default installation.

ruel

* Re: [9fans] configure a plan9 cpu+file+auth server
@ 2010-05-13 23:16 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-05-13 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2010-05-13 22:11 ruel hernandez
From: ruel hernandez @ 2010-05-13 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 10:24:53 +0100
> From: "Steve Simon" <steve@quintile.net>
> Subject: Re: [9fans] configure a plan9 cpu+file+auth server
>
> Is this an authentication problem?
> are you running authentication?
>
> These might give you a hint as to why you don't have permission:
>
> % ls -ld /cfg
> % echo $user
> % grep $user /adm/users
>
> -Steve

d-rwxrwxr-x  M  11  sys  sys 0
Glenda
glenda:glenda:glenda

plan9 wiki says;

Start by installing the distribution as though creating a standalone
terminal. Reboot the system, and log in as any user that is in group sys. To
know how to add a user to group sys see adding a new
user<http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/adding_a_new_user>.
The user needs to be part of group sys in order to be able to edit the
required system files. In the default installation, the user *glenda* will
do.

and then you could continue to;

edit cpurc, cpurclocal

The first step is to edit /rc/bin/cpurc*. To add machine-specific
customisations,

cd /cfg; mkdir $sysname; dircp example $sysname
but i was not able to go through here due to said

problem.

Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 11:26:33 +0200
> From: Gorka Guardiola <paurea@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [9fans] configure a plan9 cpu+file+auth server
>
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:01 AM, ruel hernandez <ru60hz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I made a new installation of plan9 at work, now i can use plan9 at
> > home
> > and at work. :) After a few days of using the system and reading some
> > papers from the internet, i decided to turn it into a plan9 cpu+file
> > +auth server.
> > So, i started to followed the wiki;
> >
> > % cd /cfg; mkdir $sysname; dircp example $sysname
> >
> > mkdir: can't create gnot: 'gnot' permission denied
>
> Who is the user runing dircp?. Who is the owner of cfg?.
> What permissions is the fossil checking on the filesystem served?.
> If you answer this questions you can probably answer yours.
> --
> - curiosity sKilled the cat

Glenda is the user running dircp and the owner is sys?
on your 3rd question is i don't know the answer.

@ 2010-05-13  9:26 ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2010-05-13  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2010-05-13  9:24 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2010-05-13  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2010-05-13  9:01 ruel hernandez
From: ruel hernandez @ 2010-05-13  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I made a new installation of plan9 at work, now i can use plan9 at
home
and at work. :) After a few days of using the system and reading some
papers from the internet, i decided to turn it into a plan9 cpu+file
+auth server.
So, i started to followed the wiki;

% cd /cfg; mkdir $sysname; dircp example $sysname

mkdir: can't create gnot: 'gnot' permission denied
can't cd gnot: 'gnot' file does not exist

I'm using the april 2010 iso here and booting from a diskette

need some help here please.

ruel