* plan 9 compose sequences under X
@ 2011-01-02 20:41 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2011-01-02 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> Yes.  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ComposeKey has some
> information on the X11 Compose sequence mechanism.  I have
> been meaning to prepare something in p9p to generate a config
> that makes the X11 compose do exactly what p9p does (except
> maybe the alt-X for spelling out Unicode by hex).  If you make
> one, please post it.  mklatinkbd is probably a good start.

Based on information from Anthony Martin, Tony Lainson, and
Kris Maglione (thanks all!), I have added a -x flag to mklatinkbd,
so that you can get the same compose sequences in GTK and QT
programs that you can in Plan 9 programs.  Quoting the updated keyboard(7):

        X WINDOWS

          Under X Windows, both the Alt key and the ``Multi key'' can
          begin a compose sequence in a Plan 9 program.

          It is also possible to configure X Windows to use the same
          keystroke mappings as the Plan 9 programs.  First, generate
          an XCompose sequence list by using mklatinkbd:

               mklatinkbd -x $PLAN9/lib/keyboard >$HOME/.XCompose

          Second, configure a ``Multi key'' by running

               xmodmap -e 'keysym Super_L = Multi_key'

          (The name `Super_L' typically denotes the Windows key on
          recent keyboards.)

          Third, set these environment variables so that GTK- and QT-
          based programs will use the compose sequences:

               export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
               export QT_IM_MODULE=xim

          Finally, start a new GTK- or QT-based program:

               gnome-terminal &

          In that terminal, typing the key sequence `Windows * a'
          should be interpreted as the Greek letter `α'.

          If using the GNOME Window Manager, put the xmodmap and
          export commands into the file $HOME/.gnomerc to run them
          automatically at startup.

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 compose sequences under X
@ 2011-01-02 20:48 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-01-02 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Jan  2 15:42:39 EST 2011, rsc@swtch.com wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> > Yes.  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ComposeKey has some
> > information on the X11 Compose sequence mechanism.  I have
> > been meaning to prepare something in p9p to generate a config
> > that makes the X11 compose do exactly what p9p does (except
> > maybe the alt-X for spelling out Unicode by hex).  If you make
> > one, please post it.  mklatinkbd is probably a good start.
>
> Based on information from Anthony Martin, Tony Lainson, and
> Kris Maglione (thanks all!), I have added a -x flag to mklatinkbd,
> so that you can get the same compose sequences in GTK and QT
> programs that you can in Plan 9 programs.  Quoting the updated keyboard(7):

that's great!  i just wrote mklatinkbd as a shell script.  i didn't mean to
rewrite it.  for some reason the existance of mklatinkbd escaped me.
there's a neat little trick with sort one can use to avoid a trie.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 compose sequences under X
@ 2011-01-03 17:13 ` pmarin
From: pmarin @ 2011-01-03 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:

> Based on information from Anthony Martin, Tony Lainson, and
> Kris Maglione (thanks all!), I have added a -x flag to mklatinkbd,
> so that you can get the same compose sequences in GTK and QT
> programs that you can in Plan 9 programs.  Quoting the updated keyboard(7):

It works also in other x clients like xterm and tcl/tk.
Thank you Russ.

Cheers.
pmarin