* [9fans]  some questions--gsoc
@ 2011-03-29 23:00 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-03-29 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> hi,
> i saw some project ideias in the following page:::
> http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/gsoc-2011-ideas/index.html
>
> i liked some project ideias, like ::
> Native asn.1 DER encode/decode library
> Make a keyboard file server
> Create an alternative window manager
>
> but there are missing some informations like:: the skills the participant
> must have, the programming language he must know to be able to do the
> project , perhaps some exaples, links to external references, some similar
> code , etc

except for inferno projects that require limbo, almost all of the code
required will be in c.

> for the project ideia:::Native asn.1 DER encode/decode library
>
> i have not uderstood what are the following things:::
> Write a native (non-APE) library for encoding and decoding ASN.1 DER data.

ape is the plan 9 ansi/posix emulation libraries, compiler, etc.

> what is non-APE, ASN,DER data, , LDAP, RFCs,

the rest you can google.

- erik

* [9fans] some questions--gsoc
@ 2011-03-30 19:34 ` Myster G
From: Myster G @ 2011-03-30 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

what is teh purpose of the inforno operating system ? what differentiate it
from other linux distributions????

On 30 March 2011 00:00, erik quanstrom <quanstro at quanstro.net> wrote:

> > hi,
> > i saw some project ideias in the following page:::
> > http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/gsoc-2011-ideas/index.html
> >
> > i liked some project ideias, like ::
> > Native asn.1 DER encode/decode library
> > Make a keyboard file server
> > Create an alternative window manager
> >
> > but there are missing some informations like:: the skills the participant
> > must have, the programming language he must know to be able to do the
> > project , perhaps some exaples, links to external references, some
> similar
> > code , etc
>
> except for inferno projects that require limbo, almost all of the code
> required will be in c.
>
> > for the project ideia:::Native asn.1 DER encode/decode library
> >
> > i have not uderstood what are the following things:::
> > Write a native (non-APE) library for encoding and decoding ASN.1 DER
> data.
>
> ape is the plan 9 ansi/posix emulation libraries, compiler, etc.
>

> > what is non-APE, ASN,DER data, , LDAP, RFCs,
>
> the rest you can google.
>
> - erik

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [9fans] some questions--gsoc
@ 2011-03-30 19:39   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2011-03-30 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> what is teh purpose of the inforno operating system ? what differentiate it
> from other linux distributions????

a somewhat less strict adherence to the rules. for example, inforno's
kernel is written by Alan Cox and not Linus.

* [9fans] some questions--gsoc
@ 2011-03-30 19:58     ` Myster G
From: Myster G @ 2011-03-30 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

sposibo

@ 2011-03-30 19:59       ` Myster G
From: Myster G @ 2011-03-30 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

but ir continues to be written in ansi c or in limbo?

@ 2011-03-30 20:07 ` Myster G
From: Myster G @ 2011-03-30 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

for the APE what i found is the following::
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape
ASN--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASN
nothing related

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DER
Distinguished Encoding
Rules<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distinguished_Encoding_Rules>
??????

for what i showed the results i think that are not correct, so if possible
give me teh right links

@ 2011-03-30 20:09         ` dexen deVries
From: dexen deVries @ 2011-03-30 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 30 of March 2011 21:59:27 Myster G wrote:
> but ir continues to be written in ansi c or in limbo?

perhaps not the best one ever, but a pun it is, notetheless :D

--
dexen deVries

``One can't proceed from the informal to the formal by formal means.''

* [9fans] some questions--gsoc
@ 2011-03-31  7:09   ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2011-03-31  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Myster G <iurcic at gmail.com> wrote:
> for the APE what i found is the following::
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ape+plan+9

(after all we are talking about the plan 9 gsoc)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=asn+plan+9

>From the first link:

Abstract Syntax Notation One (ASN.1)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ASN.1

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DER
> Distinguished Encoding Rules?? ??????

yes

Just read this one and you can skip some of the searches...

G.

* [9fans] some questions--gsoc
@ 2011-03-31  7:43     ` Peter A. Cejchan
From: Peter A. Cejchan @ 2011-03-31  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/en/index.htm
http://www.nokalva.com/asn1/booksintro.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/IEB/ToolBox/SDKDOCS/ASNLIB.HTML
ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/toolbox/ncbi_tools/sdkdoc/

hope this would be of some help,
best regards,
++pac

@ 2011-03-31  9:01   ` Balwinder S Dheeman
From: Balwinder S Dheeman @ 2011-03-31  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03/31/11 01:39, Myster G wrote:
> for what i showed the results i think that are not correct, so if
> possible give me teh right links

Plan9 APE
http://www.google.co.in/search?q=Plan9+APE
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/ape.html

ASN.1 and DER
http://www.google.co.in/search?q=ASN.1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_Syntax_Notation_One

IMHO, You need to polish your skills.

--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman        Registered Linux User: #229709
Anu'z Linux at HOME (Unix Shoppe)        Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192

* [9fans] some questions--gsoc
@ 2011-03-31 16:27     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2011-03-31 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> IMHO, You need to polish your skills.

I thought it was easier to just post to the list?

* [9fans] some questions--gsoc
@ 2011-03-29 22:26 Myster G
From: Myster G @ 2011-03-29 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,
i saw some project ideias in the following page:::
http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/gsoc-2011-ideas/index.html

i liked some project ideias, like ::
Native asn.1 DER encode/decode library
Make a keyboard file server
Create an alternative window manager

but there are missing some informations like:: the skills the participant
must have, the programming language he must know to be able to do the
project , perhaps some exaples, links to external references, some similar
code , etc

for the project ideia:::Native asn.1 DER encode/decode library

i have not uderstood what are the following things:::
Write a native (non-APE) library for encoding and decoding ASN.1 DER data.

what is non-APE, ASN,DER data, , LDAP, RFCs,

i thank you in advance for you answer
best regards