* [9fans] 9vx versions
@ 2011-02-16 18:27 Christoph Lohmann
From: Christoph Lohmann @ 2011-02-16 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Good evening,

reading through the archives of 9fans reveals me that there
are many patched 9vx versions out there. Since the 9vx from
swtch.com is bailing on me while installing the vera fonts
and someone on IRC told me, that there is a more stable patch-
ed version of if, but I cannot find any trace of them in wiki;
would anyone give me an overview of all the 9vx versions out
there?

I would like to sum them up in a wiki article.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann

* Re: [9fans] 9vx versions
@ 2011-02-16 18:33 ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2011-02-16 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

There's yiyus' and rminnichs' verions on bitbucket, just search for 9vx
there and you should find them. I think ron's is a fork of yiyus', I'm not
completely sufe how much the differ.

* Re: [9fans] 9vx versions
@ 2011-02-16 19:59   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2011-02-16 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Jacob Todd <jaketodd422@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's yiyus' and rminnichs' verions on bitbucket, just search for 9vx
> there and you should find them. I think ron's is a fork of yiyus', I'm not
> completely sufe how much the differ.

ron is a fork of the original. yiyus forked me, according to
bitbucket, and I have taken some but not all of his patches back.

ron

* Re: [9fans] 9vx versions
@ 2011-02-16 22:20     ` yy
From: yy @ 2011-02-16 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2011/2/16 ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Jacob Todd <jaketodd422@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There's yiyus' and rminnichs' verions on bitbucket, just search for 9vx
>> there and you should find them. I think ron's is a fork of yiyus', I'm not
>> completely sufe how much the differ.
>
> ron is a fork of the original. yiyus forked me, according to
> bitbucket, and I have taken some but not all of his patches back.
>
> ron

Yes, I forked ron, but all my patches are in ron's tree now (after the
last merge, three months ago), and some new fixes I've not pulled yet.

My tree has been quite dead lately, but when I'm making changes you
can expect all kind of problems, and all the interesting stuff
finishes in ron's repo anyway. So, that's probably a safer bet.

--
- yiyus || JGL .

* Re: [9fans] 9vx versions
@ 2011-02-16 22:42       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2011-02-16 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have essentially abdicated responsibility for
maintaining 9vx (too much else going on) to Ron.
If you want something that works I would use his
fork.  I should probably just give Ron access to
push to the main one.

Russ