* [9fans] iwp9 video?
@ 2010-09-29  5:18 Venkatesh Srinivas
From: Venkatesh Srinivas @ 2010-09-29  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

For those of us who can't be at IWP9, are there any plans to videotape the
talks?

Thanks,
-- vs

* Re: [9fans] iwp9 video?
@ 2010-09-29 14:31 ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2010-09-29 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 12:18 AM, Venkatesh Srinivas
<me@endeavour.zapto.org> wrote:
> For those of us who can't be at IWP9, are there any plans to videotape the
> talks?

I'll attempt to livestream the talks again this year as well as
keeping a tape archive -- although audio quality typically suffers due
to interference from the large number of wifi and cell phones in the
crowd and my cheap remote lav mics.
Although transcoding the tapes for streaming after the conference
isn't my strongpoint :)

Check http://www.livestream.com/iwp9 during the workshop.  I'll post
an update to the list with whether or not I've got it working as well.

       -eric

* Re: [9fans] iwp9 video?
@ 2010-10-18  0:40   ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2010-10-18  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sep 29, 2010, at 9:31 AM, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:

> Check http://www.livestream.com/iwp9 during the workshop.  I'll post
> an update to the list with whether or not I've got it working as well.

Any chance the videos can be pushed to youtube or some other reference site?  I've not been able to watch anything from livestream past the default ad 15s into the presentation.

Granted I was there, but I still want additional fuel for the fire when I start pestering Gorka or John via email.

-jas

* Re: [9fans] iwp9 video?
@ 2010-10-18 11:34     ` roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2010-10-18 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

yeah, youtube (or better, vimeo) would be great.
livestream is very glitchy from here too.
(although it was fun when it did work live...)

On 18 October 2010 01:40, Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com> wrote:

> On Sep 29, 2010, at 9:31 AM, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:
>
>> Check http://www.livestream.com/iwp9 during the workshop.  I'll post
>> an update to the list with whether or not I've got it working as well.
>
> Any chance the videos can be pushed to youtube or some other reference site?  I've not been able to watch anything from livestream past the default ad 15s into the presentation.
>
> Granted I was there, but I still want additional fuel for the fire when I start pestering Gorka or John via email.
>
> -jas

* Re: [9fans] iwp9 video?
@ 2010-10-18 12:12       ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2010-10-18 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

if you had turned up i could have answered your questions again. but
you would have talked over me and made me leave the room. at least you
can review the video and talk over it.

brucee

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:34 PM, roger peppe <rogpeppe@gmail.com> wrote:
> yeah, youtube (or better, vimeo) would be great.
> livestream is very glitchy from here too.
> (although it was fun when it did work live...)
>
> On 18 October 2010 01:40, Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 29, 2010, at 9:31 AM, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:
>>
>>> Check http://www.livestream.com/iwp9 during the workshop.  I'll post
>>> an update to the list with whether or not I've got it working as well.
>>
>> Any chance the videos can be pushed to youtube or some other reference site?  I've not been able to watch anything from livestream past the default ad 15s into the presentation.
>>
>> Granted I was there, but I still want additional fuel for the fire when I start pestering Gorka or John via email.
>>
>> -jas

* Re: [9fans] iwp9 video?
@ 2010-10-18 12:26         ` roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2010-10-18 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

you're a lovely man

On 18 October 2010 13:12, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> if you had turned up i could have answered your questions again. but
> you would have talked over me and made me leave the room. at least you
> can review the video and talk over it.
>
> brucee
>
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:34 PM, roger peppe <rogpeppe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> yeah, youtube (or better, vimeo) would be great.
>> livestream is very glitchy from here too.
>> (although it was fun when it did work live...)

>>> Any chance the videos can be pushed to youtube or some other reference site?  I've not been able to watch anything from livestream past the default ad 15s into the presentation.
>>>
>>> Granted I was there, but I still want additional fuel for the fire when I start pestering Gorka or John via email.
>>>
>>> -jas

* Re: [9fans] iwp9 video?
@ 2010-10-18 12:39           ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2010-10-18 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

thank you.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 11:26 PM, roger peppe <rogpeppe@gmail.com> wrote:
> you're a lovely man
>
> On 18 October 2010 13:12, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> if you had turned up i could have answered your questions again. but
>> you would have talked over me and made me leave the room. at least you
>> can review the video and talk over it.
>>
>> brucee
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:34 PM, roger peppe <rogpeppe@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> yeah, youtube (or better, vimeo) would be great.
>>> livestream is very glitchy from here too.
>>> (although it was fun when it did work live...)

* Re: [9fans] iwp9 video?
@ 2010-10-18 14:12       ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2010-10-18 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 6:34 AM, roger peppe <rogpeppe@gmail.com> wrote:
> yeah, youtube (or better, vimeo) would be great.
> livestream is very glitchy from here too.
> (although it was fun when it did work live...)

youtube would be a pain as the videos have to be sliced and diced to
match 10 minutes.  Not sure if vimeo has similar restrictions.
Honestly I won't have much time for editing.  I'm gonna rip the tapes
to some compressed format and post them.  If folks want to edit, post
to other sites, etc. -- more power to them.  I'll do my best to rip
this week, its off of tape, so that's 7 hours and I've got more travel
this week, but I'll post whatever I rip.  In the interim, you can try
downloading the stream from livestream -- there should be in an option
with the Video-on-Demand stuff.

        -eric

* Re: [9fans] iwp9 video?
@ 2010-10-18 14:31         ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2010-10-18 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

all praise to ericvh for his "all the bits that fit" approach. one of
the casella dudes has a nice video editing studio - so raw as you like
- we fix.

brucee

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 1:12 AM, Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 6:34 AM, roger peppe <rogpeppe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> yeah, youtube (or better, vimeo) would be great.
>> livestream is very glitchy from here too.
>> (although it was fun when it did work live...)
>>

> youtube would be a pain as the videos have to be sliced and diced to
> match 10 minutes.  Not sure if vimeo has similar restrictions.
> Honestly I won't have much time for editing.  I'm gonna rip the tapes
> to some compressed format and post them.  If folks want to edit, post
> to other sites, etc. -- more power to them.  I'll do my best to rip
> this week, its off of tape, so that's 7 hours and I've got more travel
> this week, but I'll post whatever I rip.  In the interim, you can try
> downloading the stream from livestream -- there should be in an option
> with the Video-on-Demand stuff.
>
>        -eric

* Re: [9fans] iwp9 video?
@ 2010-10-18 14:41         ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2010-10-18 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

can they do hungarian subtitles?

--
cinap

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4233 bytes --]

From: Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] iwp9 video?
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 09:12:01 -0500

@ 2010-10-18 14:51           ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2010-10-18 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

my hovercraft is full of eels!

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 1:41 AM,  <cinap_lenrek@gmx.de> wrote:
> can they do hungarian subtitles?
>
> --
> cinap

* Re: [9fans] iwp9 video?
@ 2010-10-18 15:21             ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2010-10-18 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

oh man, that is awesome.  We should do a spinal tap-like commentary
track for the whole of IWP9...with hungarian and swedish subtitles --
perhaps a shaney sub-title track?  That'd be a fun weekend project.
What was I saying about not having any time?

       -eric

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> my hovercraft is full of eels!
>
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 1:41 AM,  <cinap_lenrek@gmx.de> wrote:
>> can they do hungarian subtitles?
>>
>> --
>> cinap

* Re: [9fans] iwp9 video?
@ 2010-10-18 15:34               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-10-18 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Oct 18 11:32:20 EDT 2010, ericvh@gmail.com wrote:
> oh man, that is awesome.  We should do a spinal tap-like commentary
> track for the whole of IWP9...with hungarian and swedish subtitles --
> perhaps a shaney sub-title track?  That'd be a fun weekend project.
> What was I saying about not having any time?

i've got a super protocol that will fix all your time
problems.  i think i left the description at home.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] iwp9 video?
@ 2010-10-18 15:35               ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2010-10-18 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

you did escort me to the swedish hospital ... there is so much scope.

even tho ron's talk was perhaps the sardonically wittiest technical
talk i've ever had the pleasure of attending ... it would be hilarious
dubbed by aussie surfers - dude.

brucee

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 2:21 AM, Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com> wrote:
> oh man, that is awesome.  We should do a spinal tap-like commentary
> track for the whole of IWP9...with hungarian and swedish subtitles --
> perhaps a shaney sub-title track?  That'd be a fun weekend project.
> What was I saying about not having any time?
>
>       -eric
>

> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> my hovercraft is full of eels!
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 1:41 AM,  <cinap_lenrek@gmx.de> wrote:
>>> can they do hungarian subtitles?
>>>
>>> --
>>> cinap

* Re: [9fans] iwp9 video?
@ 2010-10-18 16:43                 ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-10-18 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 We could also run trascripts through Jive or Valley (an old parser
 which converts standard english to Jive and Valley Girl speach -- so
 "Gage me with a spoon" and "slap my fro"!).  An old girfriend of mine
 ran the abstract of her dissertation through Jive and handed it in to
 her advisor...  He said he would not change a thing ;-)

   EBo --

@ 2010-10-18 16:46     ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2010-10-18 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

FWIW chrome seems to have major issues with livestream but safari
behaves a bit better.

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com> wrote:

> On Sep 29, 2010, at 9:31 AM, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:
>
>> Check http://www.livestream.com/iwp9 during the workshop.  I'll post
>> an update to the list with whether or not I've got it working as well.
>
> Any chance the videos can be pushed to youtube or some other reference site?  I've not been able to watch anything from livestream past the default ad 15s into the presentation.
>
> Granted I was there, but I still want additional fuel for the fire when I start pestering Gorka or John via email.
>
> -jas

* Re: [9fans] iwp9 video?
@ 2010-10-18 17:26       ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2010-10-18 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i have software that introduces spoonerisms and malapropisms and the
complete BBC sound effects library if we wanna get really silly.

brucee

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:46 AM, Noah Evans <noah.evans@gmail.com> wrote:
> FWIW chrome seems to have major issues with livestream but safari
> behaves a bit better.
>
> On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 29, 2010, at 9:31 AM, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:
>>
>>> Check http://www.livestream.com/iwp9 during the workshop.  I'll post
>>> an update to the list with whether or not I've got it working as well.
>>
>> Any chance the videos can be pushed to youtube or some other reference site?  I've not been able to watch anything from livestream past the default ad 15s into the presentation.
>>
>> Granted I was there, but I still want additional fuel for the fire when I start pestering Gorka or John via email.
>>
>> -jas

* Re: [9fans] iwp9 video?
@ 2010-10-27 19:45           ` Bela Valek
From: Bela Valek @ 2010-10-27 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

There are actual Hungarians on this mailing list, I am sure that we
can be of assistance :)

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 4:41 PM,  <cinap_lenrek@gmx.de> wrote:
> can they do hungarian subtitles?
>
> --
> cinap

* Re: [9fans] iwp9 video?
@ 2010-10-27 20:10             ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2010-10-27 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I will not buy this record; it is scratched.

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Bela Valek <bvalek2@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are actual Hungarians on this mailing list, I am sure that we
> can be of assistance :)
>
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 4:41 PM,  <cinap_lenrek@gmx.de> wrote:
>> can they do hungarian subtitles?
>>
>> --
>> cinap

* Re: [9fans] iwp9 video?
@ 2010-10-27 22:23               ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-10-27 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 Why not go with Esperanto subtitles so it is consistent and universal?
 If not Klingonese is a good backup.