* [9fans] is this crazy?
@ 2011-01-08 13:37 Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2011-01-08 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I had this crazy idea for a CDM module. Stick in a smart phone.

I contacted some friendly asian folk and they sent me this ....

2.4" QVGA screen
Quad Band
Two Sims
Wifi, Bluetooth
Analog TV
etc.

Bundled with ...
Google/MSN/Java/Yahoo/SKYPE

It's comaptible with the Nokia Devkit so I'm adding

imp/cloud/deeptext/shaneyleaks etc...

$60 for 1 of.

Works well.

brucee

* Re: [9fans] is this crazy?
@ 2011-01-08 17:51 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2011-01-08 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

sounds like a must have toy; link or pics?

has Shaney been forced underground since shaneyleaks?

-Skip

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 5:37 AM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had this crazy idea for a CDM module. Stick in a smart phone.
>
> I contacted some friendly asian folk and they sent me this ....
>
> 2.4" QVGA screen
> Quad Band
> Two Sims
> Wifi, Bluetooth
> Analog TV
> etc.
>
> Bundled with ...
> Google/MSN/Java/Yahoo/SKYPE
>
> It's comaptible with the Nokia Devkit so I'm adding
>
> imp/cloud/deeptext/shaneyleaks etc...
>
> $60 for 1 of.
>
> Works well.
>
> brucee

* Re: [9fans] is this crazy?
@ 2011-01-08 23:02   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2011-01-08 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It's essentially a clone of the Nokia E5 - I wished they'd cloned the
manual. You can find a Nokia E5 user guide with google.

brucee

On 1/9/11, Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com> wrote:
> sounds like a must have toy; link or pics?
>
> has Shaney been forced underground since shaneyleaks?
>
> -Skip
>
> On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 5:37 AM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I had this crazy idea for a CDM module. Stick in a smart phone.
>>
>> I contacted some friendly asian folk and they sent me this ....
>>
>> 2.4" QVGA screen
>> Quad Band
>> Two Sims
>> Wifi, Bluetooth
>> Analog TV
>> etc.
>>
>> Bundled with ...
>> Google/MSN/Java/Yahoo/SKYPE
>>
>> It's comaptible with the Nokia Devkit so I'm adding
>>
>> imp/cloud/deeptext/shaneyleaks etc...
>>
>> $60 for 1 of.
>>
>> Works well.
>>
>> brucee

* Re: [9fans] is this crazy?
@ 2011-01-08 23:52     ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2011-01-08 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 Do you have a link to their cite?  I'm just about in need of a new
 phone...

   EBo --

 On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 10:02:45 +1100, Bruce Ellis wrote:
> It's essentially a clone of the Nokia E5 - I wished they'd cloned the
> manual. You can find a Nokia E5 user guide with google.
>
> brucee
>
> On 1/9/11, Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com> wrote:
>> sounds like a must have toy; link or pics?
>>
>> has Shaney been forced underground since shaneyleaks?
>>
>> -Skip
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 5:37 AM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I had this crazy idea for a CDM module. Stick in a smart phone.
>>>
>>> I contacted some friendly asian folk and they sent me this ....
>>>
>>> 2.4" QVGA screen
>>> Quad Band
>>> Two Sims
>>> Wifi, Bluetooth
>>> Analog TV
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> Bundled with ...
>>> Google/MSN/Java/Yahoo/SKYPE
>>>
>>> It's comaptible with the Nokia Devkit so I'm adding
>>>
>>> imp/cloud/deeptext/shaneyleaks etc...
>>>
>>> $60 for 1 of.
>>>
>>> Works well.
>>>
>>> brucee

* Re: [9fans] is this crazy?
@ 2011-01-09  0:31     ` dexen deVries
From: dexen deVries @ 2011-01-09  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sunday 09 of January 2011 00:02:45 Bruce Ellis wrote:
> It's essentially a clone of the Nokia E5 - I wished they'd cloned the
> manual. You can find a Nokia E5 user guide with google.

Looking at the specs, it comes with only 256MB of RAM; otherwise a rather
reasonable hardware. Would it be possible to have the board with twice the
RAM?

--
dexen deVries

``One can't proceed from the informal to the formal by formal means.''

* Re: [9fans] is this crazy?
@ 2011-01-09  5:07       ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2011-01-09  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

they won't deal with you as i guess you don't have an import license. (i do.)

they sell iphone4 clones at about the same price too, but this is a
better phone.

brucee

On 1/9/11, EBo <ebo@sandien.com> wrote:
>  Do you have a link to their cite?  I'm just about in need of a new
>  phone...
>
>    EBo --
>
>  On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 10:02:45 +1100, Bruce Ellis wrote:
>> It's essentially a clone of the Nokia E5 - I wished they'd cloned the
>> manual. You can find a Nokia E5 user guide with google.
>>
>> brucee
>>
>> On 1/9/11, Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> sounds like a must have toy; link or pics?
>>>
>>> has Shaney been forced underground since shaneyleaks?
>>>
>>> -Skip

* Re: [9fans] is this crazy?
@ 2011-01-09  5:12       ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2011-01-09  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

yes, 2G if you want. the smc card  (up to 16G) is a good fs.

brucee

@ 2011-01-15  9:42 ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2011-01-15  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have this exact thing. Direct from China.

It has a terribly slow interface, heats up
during calls, and runs out of battery during
actual call times, like no other.

It's good if all you care about is the "smart"
part of "smart phone". Not much of a phone.

Stickin' with my Motofone.

ak

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 5:37 AM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had this crazy idea for a CDM module. Stick in a smart phone.
>
> I contacted some friendly asian folk and they sent me this ....
>
> 2.4" QVGA screen
> Quad Band
> Two Sims
> Wifi, Bluetooth
> Analog TV
> etc.
>
> Bundled with ...
> Google/MSN/Java/Yahoo/SKYPE
>
> It's comaptible with the Nokia Devkit so I'm adding
>
> imp/cloud/deeptext/shaneyleaks etc...
>
> $60 for 1 of.
>
> Works well.
>
> brucee

* Re: [9fans] is this crazy?
@ 2011-01-15 17:39   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2011-01-15 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 1:42 AM, Akshat Kumar
<akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net> wrote:
> I have this exact thing. Direct from China.
>
> It has a terribly slow interface, heats up
> during calls, and runs out of battery during
> actual call times, like no other.
>
> It's good if all you care about is the "smart"
> part of "smart phone". Not much of a phone.

is it like the cinco phone? Maybe it comes with its own tube of burn lotion!

http://video.adultswim.com/tim-and-eric-awesome-show-great-job/cinco-fone.html

ron

* Re: [9fans] is this crazy?
@ 2011-01-16 15:02     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2011-01-16 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Doesn't play in Nazi Germany. I guess this is the same?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv9hTYj6Q3w

On 1/15/11, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 1:42 AM, Akshat Kumar
> <akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net> wrote:
>> I have this exact thing. Direct from China.
>>
>> It has a terribly slow interface, heats up
>> during calls, and runs out of battery during
>> actual call times, like no other.
>>
>> It's good if all you care about is the "smart"
>> part of "smart phone". Not much of a phone.
>
> is it like the cinco phone? Maybe it comes with its own tube of burn lotion!
>
> http://video.adultswim.com/tim-and-eric-awesome-show-great-job/cinco-fone.html
>
> ron

* Re: [9fans] is this crazy?
@ 2011-01-16 20:32       ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2011-01-16 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I didn't think it was possible for me to hate 'tim and eric awesome show'
any more than I already did. I was wrong.

* Re: [9fans] is this crazy?
@ 2011-01-16 21:00     ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2011-01-16 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 9:39 AM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 1:42 AM, Akshat Kumar
> <akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net> wrote:
>> I have this exact thing. Direct from China.
>>
>> It has a terribly slow interface, heats up
>> during calls, and runs out of battery during
>> actual call times, like no other.
>>
>> It's good if all you care about is the "smart"
>> part of "smart phone". Not much of a phone.
>
> is it like the cinco phone? Maybe it comes with its own tube of burn lotion!
>
> http://video.adultswim.com/tim-and-eric-awesome-show-great-job/cinco-fone.html
>
> ron

The best part is that the cinco phone is basically just a pulse-dialed
system, like rotary phones... but those of us in the target
demographic for Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job haven't had much
opportunity to know those so the joke works better :)

John