* [9fans] Plan9 from scratch
@ 2011-01-10 10:01 Artem Novikov
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Artem Novikov @ 2011-01-10 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I want to build Plan9 from scratch under Windows/*NIX.
I built working (seems :) toolchain (yacc, 8a, 8c, 8l) under Windows
XP using Open Watcom Compiller.
Has anyone done something similar?

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 from scratch
@ 2011-01-10 18:18 ` Nick LaForge
From: Nick LaForge @ 2011-01-10 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm curious: do you plan on executing the output of 8c and 8l in an
environment as strange as one the you are building in?  You could try
building only programs and then try executing those, i.e., by using
one of

http://www.chunder.com/plan9/9ee.html
http://swtch.com/9vx/

If you just want an x86 kernel, I think it begs the question.  The
distribution comes with x86 binaries, and rebuilding the whole system
is as simple as mk.

Anyway, you may be shocked by this if you come from a linux background
where complilation is viewed as some sort of sacrificial ritual.

Nick

@ 2011-01-10 18:29 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2011-01-10 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i assume you know about 9pm for win32 and p9p for bsd/linux/osx. not
sure why you want to duplicate them. it would be more useful to port
p9p to win32.

-Skip

@ 2011-01-10 19:09   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2011-01-10 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I want to build Plan9 from scratch under Windows/*NIX.
> I built working (seems :) toolchain (yacc, 8a, 8c, 8l) under Windows
> XP using Open Watcom Compiller.
> Has anyone done something similar?

a few years ago, using the Inferno compiler suite, I built an
environment on Solaris/sparc to cross-compile at least the Plan 9 libraries and kernel
(for x86, I think, although the target type doesn't really matter).
it required some changes to the mkfiles, because the root of the
file system was different, but the compilation itself was fine.
i don't think it would be much harder under Windows.
i think the awk distributed with Inferno would work for the port mkfile mangling.
there are some other tools in the Inferno environment that might be similarly useful.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 from scratch
@ 2011-01-11  8:23 ` Peter Penzin
From: Peter Penzin @ 2011-01-11  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Is it possible to take a look at what you did? I can't be considered
expert, just interested and may be I can try to contribute.

Cheers
-Peter

@ 2011-01-11  9:57   ` Artem Novikov
From: Artem Novikov @ 2011-01-11  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 11 янв, 02:01, nicklafo...@gmail.com (Nick LaForge) wrote:
> I'm curious: do you plan on executing the output of 8c and 8l in an
> environment as strange as one the you are building in?  You could try
> building only programs and then try executing those, i.e., by using
> one of
>
> http://www.chunder.com/plan9/9ee.htmlhttp://swtch.com/9vx/
>
> If you just want an x86 kernel, I think it begs the question.  The
> distribution comes with x86 binaries, and rebuilding the whole system
> is as simple as mk.
>
> Anyway, you may be shocked by this if you come from a linux background
> where complilation is viewed as some sort of sacrificial ritual.
>
> Nick
>
> On 1/10/11, Artem Novikov <noviko...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I want to build Plan9 from scratch under Windows/*NIX.
> > I built working (seems :) toolchain (yacc, 8a, 8c, 8l) under Windows
> > XP using Open Watcom Compiller.
> > Has anyone done something similar?

Thanks all.

May be building from scratch seems strange, but it only fo my Plan9 OS
researching.
I think building OS using only the source code good for a much better
understanding of Plan9.

P.S.
=) Nick, no, 8* for cross-compilation purpose.