* [9fans] mark shaney again...
@ 2011-03-25 20:16 Steve Simon
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Steve Simon @ 2011-03-25 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

thought this might bring a wry smile to some:

Fake Tweets by 'Socialbot' Fool Hundreds of Followers,
New Scientist, (03/24/11), Jim Giles

Three socialbots recently integrated themselves into a group of
Twitter users, gained more than 250 followers, and received more than
of Socialbots 2011, a competition designed to test whether bots can be
used to change the structure of a social network.  The bots were
rewarded for the number of followers they obtained and the number of
sent by members of the network who shared a particular interest and
then created a suitable response.  The best-peforming bot gained more
than 100 followers and generated about 200 responses.  Socialbots 2011
organizer Tim Hwang says the bots were "able to heavily shape and
distort the structure of the network.  We could use these bots in the
future to encourage social participation or support for humanitarian
causes." Hwang has already planned the next socialbot project.  "We're
going to survey and identify two sites of 5,000-person unconnected
Twitter communities, and over a six- to 12-month period use waves of
bots to thread and rivet those clusters together into a directly
connected social bridge between those two formerly independent
groups," he says.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20928045.100-fake-tweets-by-socialbot-fool-hundreds-of-followers.html

-Steve

* [9fans] mark shaney again...
@ 2011-03-25 20:30 ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2011-03-25 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 20:16 +0000, Steve Simon wrote:

> Fake Tweets by 'Socialbot' Fool Hundreds of Followers,
> New Scientist, (03/24/11), Jim Giles

http://captology.stanford.edu/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [9fans] mark shaney again...
@ 2011-03-25 20:48   ` Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX)
From: Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX) @ 2011-03-25 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This is not new. "Politicians" are socialbots generating sentences from
> a limited set of "politically correct" chunks (this means: that don't
> make sense) and have, still, millions of followers... and cause millions
> of deaths too...

Listen, just because we called an election today ... wait! Where's
my research grant?!?

* [9fans] mark shaney again...
@ 2011-03-25 20:49 ` tlaronde at polynum.com
From: tlaronde at polynum.com @ 2011-03-25 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 08:16:59PM +0000, Steve Simon wrote:

> Fake Tweets by 'Socialbot' Fool Hundreds of Followers,
> New Scientist, (03/24/11), Jim Giles

This is not new. "Politicians" are socialbots generating sentences from
a limited set of "politically correct" chunks (this means: that don't
make sense) and have, still, millions of followers... and cause millions
of deaths too...

And a majority of "research" papers could be made by socialbots too (the
difference with today is that every fake researcher is doing the swindle
by hand---I mean by mouse).
                      http://www.kergis.com/

* [9fans] mark shaney again...
@ 2011-03-27 23:45 ` Bruce Ellis