* Re: [9fans] APE and 9 together
@ 2001-05-01 13:50 Alexander Povolotsky
From: Alexander Povolotsky @ 2001-05-01 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Welcome to "industrial strength" reality of "time to market" and "holding
the market share", which call on "backwards compatibility", modularity,
reusability and so on.
<forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk <mailto:forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk>> wrote in
message
> i don't think scope rules would be enough but that's why i suggested
> that if people really want to try they should just get on with it,
> and work out and test the details to allow the result to be assessed.
> they've got the source.
>
> in an earlier posting i was trying to point out that
> the APE library must maintain non-trivial state because the kernel
> doesn't implement what's required to emulate sockets and select (amongst
others),
> nor would i for one particularly like it to do so. thus
> accessing a file descriptor using the Plan 9 system calls -- whether
> the interface functions live in a different scope or not -- would not
> update the state the APE functions need to maintain. having those routines
> live in different scopes wouldn't suffice to fix it.
>
> that makes it hard to have Plan 9 native code invoke
> imported libraries compiled with APE. that could well be annoying.
> (if the imported software is self-contained
> commands, as with sim, or Icon or many other things i've
> imported, APE is fine.)
>
> on the other hand, at least some of the functions in the Plan 9
> libraries that invoke system calls (eg, open, read) or C library calls
> expect the Plan 9 behaviour, and wouldn't work without source changes
> if linked with the APE library. that makes it hard to have a program
> use arbitrary Plan 9 libraries and APE simultaneously (in general,
> although there are many useful specific exceptions).
>
> it's a horrible thought, though, that there could be a slippery slope
> that means that we never, ever get to simplify anything ever again
> because we need to keep compatibility.

* Re: [9fans] APE and 9 together
@ 2001-04-30 11:15 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-04-30 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[...]

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1996 bytes --]

From: "Douglas A. Gwyn" <DAGwyn@null.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] the declaration of main()
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 09:25:16 GMT

forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:
> I don't want that cost in native Plan 9 programs.  I know, I know,
> they could have used `p9read' or `sys_read' instead and avoided the
> main POSIX names and then you could use both ...

What this points out is that we need something like namespaces.