* [9fans] Plan9 DNS server
@ 2015-06-21  8:37 arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2015-06-21  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

how to make DNS server that serves for computers on my home network?
I tried:
ndb/dns -rs

192.168.0.3 is my server’s IP.
the name is “maia” and registered /lib/ndb/local as
sys=maia dom=maia.local

-bash$ nslookup
> www.google.com
Server:		192.168.0.3
Address:	192.168.0.3#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	www.google.com
Address: 216.58.220.228
> maia
Server:		192.168.0.3
Address:	192.168.0.3#53

** server can't find maia: NXDOMAIN
> maia.local
Server:		192.168.0.3
Address:	192.168.0.3#53

** server can't find maia.local: NXDOMAIN

how to enable locally assigned name resolution such as maia?
I have many computers on my home network. currently I am registering them to /etc/hosts.
but that is a pain.

Kenji Arisawa

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 DNS server
@ 2015-06-21 21:46 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2015-06-21 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

are you handing out IP configuration via dhcp?

i have a mixed plan9, linux, mac os x, windows environment.  my
/lib/ndb/local is based on /n/sources/plan9/lib/ndb/local.complicated.
there are at least two cpu's that serve as dns and dhcp servers.  some
non-plan9 systems have entires in ndb (i.e.  by MAC address); the rest
get their IP's assigned from a pool.  dhcp correctly hands out dom,
smtp, dns, auth, etc.  as configured in the ndb.

> Hello,
>
> how to make DNS server that serves for computers on my home network?
> I tried:
> ndb/dns -rs
>
> 192.168.0.3 is my server’s IP.
> the name is “maia” and registered /lib/ndb/local as
> sys=maia dom=maia.local
>
> -bash$ nslookup
>> www.google.com
> Server:		192.168.0.3
> Address:	192.168.0.3#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:	www.google.com
> Address: 216.58.220.228
>> maia
> Server:		192.168.0.3
> Address:	192.168.0.3#53
>
> ** server can't find maia: NXDOMAIN
>> maia.local
> Server:		192.168.0.3
> Address:	192.168.0.3#53
>
> ** server can't find maia.local: NXDOMAIN
>>

> how to enable locally assigned name resolution such as maia?
> I have many computers on my home network. currently I am registering them to /etc/hosts.
> but that is a pain.
>
> Kenji Arisawa

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 DNS server
@ 2015-06-22 10:34 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2015-06-22 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> how to enable locally assigned name resolution such as maia?

The dns man page requires careful reading, but all the details are in
there.  I have a pretty complex DNS configuration and it seems to
cause the server to fail more frequently than I like.  But the
functionality I need is there, just with one or more weak spots that I
have not been able to identify.

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 DNS server
@ 2015-06-22 11:21   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2015-06-22 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

FWIW I run dns(1) for internet facing DNS, but not for my
internal network, which is why I didn't reply.

I have had only one DNS failure in about 5 years - and that was last week -
it stopped responding to AXFR zone transfer requests.

just a different user experience - it works very well for me.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 DNS server
@ 2015-06-22 11:40     ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2015-06-22 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> just a different user experience - it works very well for me.

It's just a beast that needs some taming, I actually suspect that
there is an error in my NDB, but I haven't yet found a way to diagnose
the problem.  It would be nice if the server or some auxiliary utility
were able to check.  I can't quite get myself to code that myself; I
know I should.

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 DNS server
@ 2015-06-22 12:21       ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2015-06-22 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Not sure what checking you need, you can check your NDB was parsed as you suspected
by running zonefresh against it and comparing the results with your ndb - zonefresh
is in my contrib.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 DNS server
@ 2015-06-22 22:29   ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2015-06-22 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

thanks all.
now I have achieved my goal.

> 2015/06/22 19:34、lucio@proxima.alt.za のメール:
>
>> how to enable locally assigned name resolution such as maia?
>
> The dns man page requires careful reading, but all the details are in
> there.  I have a pretty complex DNS configuration and it seems to
> cause the server to fail more frequently than I like.  But the
> functionality I need is there, just with one or more weak spots that I
> have not been able to identify.
>
> Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 DNS server
@ 2015-06-23  3:46         ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2015-06-23  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Not sure what checking you need, you can check your NDB was parsed as you suspected
> by running zonefresh against it and comparing the results with your ndb - zonefresh
> is in my contrib.

Thanks, Simon.  That's a great idea in any case.

Lucio.