* [9fans] Date is wrong
@ 2007-11-18 14:43 Pietro Gagliardi
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2007-11-18 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello. My files are not being timestamped correctly because Plan 9
says my date is January 2, 2000 and the time is moving extremely
slowly. But I have QEMU set the guest clock to the host clock. What's
wrong?

* Re: [9fans] Date is wrong
@ 2007-11-18 14:50 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-11-18 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i don't know about qemu issues, but you may have started two
timesync processes. or you may have a timesync process trying to
sync your machine to jan 1, 1970.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Date is wrong
@ 2007-11-18 19:02 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2007-11-18 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Hello. My files are not being timestamped correctly because Plan 9
> says my date is January 2, 2000 and the time is moving extremely
> slowly. But I have QEMU set the guest clock to the host clock. What's
> wrong?

Assuming you have networking enabled, have timesync
synchronize to an ntp server. Put the following in
/rc/bin/termrc.local and reboot:

TIMESYNCARGS=(-n <some-open-ntp-server such as pool.ntp.org>)

You may also need to add

ndb/cs -f $NDBFILE
ip/ipconfig

* Re: [9fans] Date is wrong
@ 2007-11-18 21:22 ` Armando Camarero
From: Armando Camarero @ 2007-11-18 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Pietro Gagliardi escribió:
> Hello. My files are not being timestamped correctly because Plan 9
> says my date is January 2, 2000 and the time is moving extremely
> slowly. But I have QEMU set the guest clock to the host clock. What's
> wrong?
Make your timesync sync the clock using NTP instead of the host clock.
That solved the always-is-january-2000 problem for me.
The same issue was discussed in the list months ago, but nobody knew why
it happens.

Armando.

* Re: [9fans] Date is wrong
@ 2007-11-19 20:19   ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2007-11-19 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Nov 18, 2007, at 2:02 PM, Bakul Shah wrote:

>> Hello. My files are not being timestamped correctly because Plan 9
>> says my date is January 2, 2000 and the time is moving extremely
>> slowly. But I have QEMU set the guest clock to the host clock. What's
>> wrong?
>
> Assuming you have networking enabled, have timesync
> synchronize to an ntp server. Put the following in
> /rc/bin/termrc.local and reboot:
>
> TIMESYNCARGS=(-n <some-open-ntp-server such as pool.ntp.org>)
>
> You may also need to add
>
> ndb/cs -f $NDBFILE
> ip/ipconfig
Thanks, that helped me.