* [9fans] push.sh inspired by the dump file system
@ 2013-10-25 12:02 fgergo
From: fgergo @ 2013-10-25 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I usually use linux and windows.
I always liked the functionality of the dump file system and venti,
but I did not want to maintain anything for the backup of my
miscellaneous private files.
About a year ago I wrote push.sh. I use it to simply push file trees
between different non-plan9 machines.
pros:
- there is nothing to deploy, setup, initialize or maintain
- pushed data is accessed similarly to the dump file system
con:
- end result is not the same only similar to dump or venti

On windows I usually do:
c:\myhome>pushtomyvps.bat lets_keep_this_tree_somewhere_else_as_well

Where pushtomyvps.bat is 1 line:
tar cf - %1|gzip|plink -batch -load myvpssessionid -m c:\bin\push.sh

I've been using this script for a year now, you might find it useful as well.

>From https://code.google.com/p/pusher/

Usage
on local fs:
tar cf - myfiletree|gzip|push.sh

on Linux using ssh between remote file trees:
tar cf - myfiletree|gzip|ssh user@host "`cat ~/bin/push.sh`"

on Windows using plink (e.g. with saved session information) between
remote file trees:
tar cf - myfiletree|gzip|plink -batch -load mysavedputtysession -m push.sh

Description
push.sh transfers and stores data received on standard input in:
~/pushed/YYYY/MMDD/0/0.tar.gz
where YYYY/MMDD/ represents the current date similar to the plan9 dump
filesystem.

If ~/pushed/YYYY/MMDD/0/ already exists 1/1.tar.gz is created, if 1/
exists 2/2.tar.gz is created etc.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2013-10-25 12:02 UTC | newest]