* [9fans] GSOC 2014 proposal for Plan 9
@ 2014-03-09 19:31 yan cui
From: yan cui @ 2014-03-09 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dear All,

    I am a student of Columbia university(Yan Cui) and want to contribute to
plan 9 in google summer code. I am interested in one idea posted on the
idea
list, which is titled "MCS locks (i.e. queueing locks) for the kernel with
a compatable calling interface to
*lock*(9)<http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/9/lock>".
Actually, my research direction is operating system scalability on
multicore systems and knows kinds of synchronization methods very well
including Linux kernel ticket lock, MCS lock, CLH lock, etc. For MCS lock,
I have done many experiments (such as replacing the Linux kernel spin lock
with MCS lock) and made improvements to it. I think I have all backgrounds
and experiences required. I believe I can complete the task in time. Wonder
to know
can I join you in the Plan 9 development?

Best Wishes!

--
Think big; Dream impossible; Make it happen.

* Re: [9fans] GSOC 2014 proposal for Plan 9
@ 2014-03-09 20:30 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-09 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Mar  9 15:32:48 EDT 2014, ccuiyyan@gmail.com wrote:

> Dear All,
>
>     I am a student of Columbia university(Yan Cui) and want to
>     contribute to
> plan 9 in google summer code.  I am interested in one idea posted on
> the idea list, which is titled "MCS locks (i.e.  queueing locks) for
> the kernel with a compatable calling interface to
> *lock*(9)<http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/9/lock>".
> Actually, my research direction is operating system scalability on
> multicore systems and knows kinds of synchronization methods very well
> including Linux kernel ticket lock, MCS lock, CLH lock, etc.  For MCS
> lock, I have done many experiments (such as replacing the Linux kernel
> spin lock with MCS lock) and made improvements to it.  I think I have
> all backgrounds and experiences required.  I believe I can complete
> the task in time.  Wonder to know can I join you in the Plan 9
> development?

excellent!  i think you will find that plan 9 lends itself to this
sort of work.  you are certainly welcome at any time to join plan 9
development.

the key here is to work out how to keep the existing lock api.
this is described here: http://www.9atom.org/magic/man2html/9/lock
i've prototyped this in user space, but did not get any further.

as for gsoc, please do submit an application.  there does happen to
be another student interested in MCS locks.  so we may need to
work out something to avoid having to pick between two good
applications.  but i am confident that we can figure this out as
things move forward.

if you have any more questsion, please ask the list, or contact
me off list via email or g+.

cheers!

- erik

* Re: [9fans] GSOC 2014 proposal for Plan 9
@ 2014-03-09 20:42   ` yan cui
From: yan cui @ 2014-03-09 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Erik, thanks for your reply! I will read the document carefully and submit
an application.

Best Wishes!
Yan

--