* [9fans] [GSOC] auth server: connection refused
@ 2014-05-23  3:26 yan cui
From: yan cui @ 2014-05-23  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi all,

   I encountered an error when connecting drawterm with cpu/auth server.
Basically, I use
drawterm -c super -a super -u bootes
but it turns out an error,
cpu: can't dial: super: Connection refused
goodbye

on the plan9 cpu/auth server, I type auth/debug, it outputs
p9sk1 key: proto=p9sk1 user=bootes dom=cuiy.net !hex? !password?
      dialing auth server net!super!ticket
      cannot dial auth server: connection refused
      csquery authdom=cuiy.net auth=super

I also type cpu -h super on the auth/cpu server, the error is the same with
drawterm:
cpu: can't dail: super: connection refused

I set up the auth/cpu server according to plan9 wiki,
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/configuring_a_standalone_cpu_server/

Followings are my /lib/ndb/local config.
Any suggestions or comments are welcome!

#
#  files comprising the database, use as many as you like, see ndb(6)
#
database=
    file=/lib/ndb/local
    file=/lib/ndb/common
#    file=/lib/ndb/auth

auth=sources.cs.bell-labs.com authdom=outside.plan9.bell-labs.com

ipnet=cuiy ip=192.168.122.0 ipmask=255.255.255.0
    auth=super
    cpu=super
    fs=super
    ntp=128.59.22.30
    dns=192.168.122.1
    ipgw=192.168.122.1
    authdom=cuiy.net
    dnsdom=cuiy.net

ip=192.168.122.71 sys=super dom=cuiy.net

#
#  because the public demands the name localsource
#
ip=127.0.0.1 sys=localhost dom=localhost

--
Think big; Dream impossible; Make it happen.

* Re: [9fans] [GSOC] auth server: connection refused
@ 2014-05-23 19:49           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-05-23 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri May 23 15:46:50 EDT 2014, steve@quintile.net wrote:
> > personally, i preferred the big switch statement in cpurc.  it scales
> > even to large installations, and has the advantage of being a little
> > easier to get an overview.  and there's no need for a bunch of files
>
> I think the argument is that it keeps as much as possible common
> across all users (who use the labs distro), and keeps the site specific
> stuff seperate - thus replica can overwrite the common files easily
> when part of that changes.
>
> I guess you could say that its a workaround for the lack of a merge option
> in replica/pull.
>
> I don't know if this is the real reason the ". config-a" files where added,
> but its how I saw it.

i've never been able to keep /rc/bin/cpurc close to the distribution, so
while the idea makes sense, i couldn't see the practical value for me.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] [GSOC] auth server: connection refused
@ 2014-05-23 19:44         ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2014-05-23 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> personally, i preferred the big switch statement in cpurc.  it scales
> even to large installations, and has the advantage of being a little
> easier to get an overview.  and there's no need for a bunch of files

I think the argument is that it keeps as much as possible common
across all users (who use the labs distro), and keeps the site specific
stuff seperate - thus replica can overwrite the common files easily
when part of that changes.

I guess you could say that its a workaround for the lack of a merge option
in replica/pull.

I don't know if this is the real reason the ". config-a" files where added,
but its how I saw it.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] [GSOC] auth server: connection refused
@ 2014-05-23 18:29       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-05-23 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri May 23 14:26:50 EDT 2014, ccuiyyan@gmail.com wrote:

> Finally got the reason.

personally, i preferred the big switch statement in cpurc.  it scales
even to large installations, and has the advantage of being a little
easier to get an overview.  and there's no need for a bunch of files
that are similar to
	#!/bin/rc
	. config-a
- erik

* Re: [9fans] [GSOC] auth server: connection refused
@ 2014-05-23 18:25     ` yan cui
From: yan cui @ 2014-05-23 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Finally got the reason.

--

@ 2014-05-23  7:17   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2014-05-23  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2014-05-23  4:42 ` yan cui
From: yan cui @ 2014-05-23  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Finally got the reason, I execute a command exec rio at the end of
/cfg/$sysname/cpurc, which turns out the reason of blocking drawterm,

@ 2014-05-23  3:24 yan cui
From: yan cui @ 2014-05-23  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs