* [9fans] Summary of acme chords
@ 2012-04-25  8:40 Brian Vito
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Brian Vito @ 2012-04-25  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've put together a rudimentary chart of acme chords -- if anyone has
any suggestions, revisions, corrections, etc., they would be greatly
appreciated. Eventually the chart will form part of an introduction to
acme for non-programmers.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1QVUS-qAuuienlTMHdRYkFzSHM

* Re: [9fans] Summary of acme chords
@ 2012-04-25  9:13 ` IainWS
From: IainWS @ 2012-04-25  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Apr 25, 6:40 pm, Brian Vito <brian.v...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've put together a rudimentary chart of acme chords -- if anyone has
> any suggestions, revisions, corrections, etc., they would be greatly
> appreciated. Eventually the chart will form part of an introduction to
> acme for non-programmers.
>
> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1QVUS-qAuuienlTMHdRYkFzSHM

Thanks I appreciate this!

* Re: [9fans] Summary of acme chords
@ 2012-04-25 16:50 ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2012-04-25 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Aren't all of the chords in the acme paper and/or man page?

@ 2012-04-25 17:15   ` Jack Norton
From: Jack Norton @ 2012-04-25 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/25/2012 11:50 AM, Jacob Todd wrote:
> Aren't all of the chords in the acme paper and/or man page?

The acme paper isn't as descriptive as the man page on the subject.
There is a section for individual mouse buttons and a dedicated section
for chording (keep going down...).  Some of the subtle nuances are
explained.  In my opinion this needs to really be read over a few times
until you've got it.
I think the same man page is in p9p but I wouldn't know (in fact I
suppose there are differences? -- maybe not in the chording bit).
Now, the sam language quick reference card that one 9fan composed long
ago... THAT is a great little thing to have handy.  I printed it out but
removed the file so I don't have a link handy.

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] Summary of acme chords
@ 2012-04-25 17:19     ` Rob DeHart
From: Rob DeHart @ 2012-04-25 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Jack Norton <jack@0x6a.com> wrote:

> Now, the sam language quick reference card that one 9fan composed long
> ago... THAT is a great little thing to have handy.  I printed it out but
> removed the file so I don't have a link handy.

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/steve/doc/sam-refcard.pdf  seems
to be the one

Rob

* Re: [9fans] Summary of acme chords
@ 2012-04-25 18:46       ` andy zerger
From: andy zerger @ 2012-04-25 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Usually I am all about the written word, but the chart made chording
significantly easier to integrate, brain-wise .. just to screw around I
made a nroff document about it, my first ever .. (what a pain in the .. to
make table like data, couldn't find a tag for it anyway)

Acme Chord-Chart

"cmd    "
.B   "    #1     "
.B    "    #2     "
.B    "    #3     "
.B    "  Cancel    "

"select "
.B   "     X     "
.B     "     0      "
.B     "     X     "
.B     "     0    "

"execute"
.B   "     0     "
.B     "     0      "
.B     "     0     "
.B     "    B3    "

"search "
.B   "     0     "
.B     "     0      "
.B     "     0     "
.B     "    B2    "

"snarf  "
.B   "     X     "
.B     "     0      "
.B     "     X     "
.B     "    B2    "

"cut    "
.B   "     X     "
.B     "     X     "
.B     "     0     "
.B     "    B3    "

"paste  "
.B   "     X     "
.B     "     X     "
.B     "     X     "
.B     "     0    "

@ 2012-04-25 18:48         ` Robert Ransom
From: Robert Ransom @ 2012-04-25 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2012-04-25, andy zerger <zerger.andy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Usually I am all about the written word, but the chart made chording
> significantly easier to integrate, brain-wise .. just to screw around I
> made a nroff document about it, my first ever .. (what a pain in the .. to
> make table like data, couldn't find a tag for it anyway)

Use tbl.

* Re: [9fans] Summary of acme chords
@ 2012-05-05 14:40 ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2012-05-05 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 08:40:58 GMT
Brian Vito <brian.vito@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've put together a rudimentary chart of acme chords -- if anyone has
> any suggestions, revisions, corrections, etc., they would be greatly
> appreciated. Eventually the chart will form part of an introduction to
> acme for non-programmers.
>
> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1QVUS-qAuuienlTMHdRYkFzSHM

I like it, but new users should probably be made aware that button 3
officially plumbs text. Search only happens if the plumb fails, I'm not
sure of the exact semantics.

* Re: [9fans] Summary of acme chords
@ 2012-04-26 21:26         ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2012-04-26 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Shouldn't the top one be:

Select->Cut->Paste ?

The "Cut" does the snarfing.
There is no way (that I know)
to simply "Snarf" with a mouse.

Moreover, I feel that the top
two should be joined a the
"Select" vertex, like in the
original.

This is a great representation.

@ 2012-04-26 10:42             ` david jeannot
From: david jeannot @ 2012-04-26 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 26 April 2012 11:48, Martin Kühl <martin.kuehl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 00:15, david jeannot <djeannot24@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A bit off topic, but if some OS X users need a
> > mouse only for Acme, here is a patch to use Acme
> > without a mouse:
> >
> >           http://codereview.appspot.com/6115053
>
> Or you could just use the trackpad and p9p mouse emulation:
> - select text, keep the trackpad "button" pressed
> - hit option to cut
> - hit command to paste
>
> It works surprisingly well.

(Yes, this is what I used before this patch, but I
couldn't do a 2-1 chord with this emulation,
making Acme useless for me. So I hacked Acme to
"exec with arg" with a 2-3 chord instead, and it
was OK. Then I had to replug a mouse, and found
Acme far more comfortable with a mouse than
without, so I made this patch.)

* Re: [9fans] Summary of acme chords
@ 2012-04-26  9:55             ` dexen deVries
From: dexen deVries @ 2012-04-26  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thursday 26 of April 2012 11:48:59 Martin Kühl wrote:
> Or you could just use the trackpad and p9p mouse emulation:
> - select text, keep the trackpad "button" pressed
> - hit option to cut
> - hit command to paste
>
> It works surprisingly well.

if your touchpad detects two- and three-finger touches (any Synaptics should
do), you can configure it for comfortable execution of Acme commands via touch
+ touchpad left/right button click.

--
dexen deVries

* Re: [9fans] Summary of acme chords
@ 2012-04-26  9:48           ` Martin Kühl
From: Martin Kühl @ 2012-04-26  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2012-04-26  9:46   ` Peter A. Cejchan
From: Peter A. Cejchan @ 2012-04-26  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

.TS
box, tab(:);
l | l l l l.
:b1 left:b2 middle:b3 right:cancel
_
select:x:::
execute::x::b3 right
search:::x:b2 middle
_
cut:first:second::b3 right
snarf:first:second:third
paste:first::second:b2 middle
.TE

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Christian Neukirchen <
chneukirchen@gmail.com> wrote:

> sl@9front.org writes:
>
> >> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1QVUS-qAuuienlTMHdRYkFzSHM
> >
> > Could this be presented in a format accessible to Plan 9 users?
>
> .TS
> box, tab(:);
> l | l l l l.
> :b1 left:b2 middle:b3 right:cancel
> _
> select
> execute::::b2 right
> search::::b2 middle
> _
> cut:first:second::b3 right
> snarf:first:second:third
> paste:first::second:b2 middle
> .TE
>
> --
> Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org

* Re: [9fans] Summary of acme chords
       [not found] <741343bf-2bab-4454-af43-976aa9605288@q13g2000vbd.googlegroups.co>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-04-26  8:44 ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2012-04-26  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2012-04-26  1:08       ` Tom Lieber
From: Tom Lieber @ 2012-04-26  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2012-04-26  0:53         ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2012-04-26  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> But now I'm thinking, the text under Select and Paste should not be
> the same, unless you are pasting nothing or exactly the text you are
> pasting over.

it needs two entries at each vertex: one for the buffer, one for
what's on screen. then the paste becomes:

select:
scr:  hwhw_hw_hwhw
buf:  wh

paste:
scr:  hwhw_wh_hwhw
buf:  wh

where the underscored text is "selected".

* Re: [9fans] Summary of acme chords
@ 2012-04-25 23:50       ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2012-04-25 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM, andrey mirtchovski
<mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  http://alltom.com/files/misc/chords.png
>
> a suggestion?
>
> http://i.imgur.com/hjFJa.png

Ah, that is even better, I added a different green to the held button,
and updated the version at: http://acme.cat-v.org/mouse

@ 2012-04-25 23:23     ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2012-04-25 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Tom Lieber <tom@alltom.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Brian Vito <brian.vito@gmail.com> wrote:
>> How would you put together the chart without any empty fees?
>
> This is how I've always visualized it:
>
>  http://alltom.com/files/misc/chords.png

Thanks, this is a quite nice visualization, but i would keep the left
button in some shade of green on the paste, cut and copy pictures, to
indicate you should hold it.

In any case hope you are ok that I added it to http://acme.cat-v.org/mouse

Thanks again.

Uriel

* Re: [9fans] Summary of acme chords
@ 2012-04-25 22:15         ` david jeannot
From: david jeannot @ 2012-04-25 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

A bit off topic, but if some OS X users need a
mouse only for Acme, here is a patch to use Acme
without a mouse:

          http://codereview.appspot.com/6115053

Once applied, Devdraw's manual (accessible from
the Help menu) will show the following:

          On Mac OS X 10.6 or later, the following gestures are avail-
          able for trackpad users:

               2-finger-pinch to toggle fullscreen,
               3-finger-swipe left to cut (cmd+x),
               3-finger-swipe right to paste (cmd+v),
               3-finger-swipe up to copy (cmd+c),
               3-finger-swipe down to exec with arg (2-1 chord),
               3-finger-tap to middle-click.

          (Equivalent 2-finger swipe gestures are available for Magic
          Mouse users.)

          Swipe gestures will only be available if the system does not
          use them.  On OS X 10.7 for example, the default trackpad
          configuration must be changed as follows:

               swipe between pages with "2 or 3 fingers",
               swipe up to Mission Control with 4 fingers.

I use this patch since many months, and I find
Acme even more fun than before. You can apply the
patch this way:

          hget http://codereview.appspot.com/download/issue6115053_1.diff >
$HOME/Downloads/swipe.diff
          hg -R $PLAN9  import --no-commit $HOME/Downloads/swipe.diff
          cd $PLAN9/src/cmd/acme && mk install
          cd $PLAN9/src/cmd/devdraw && mk install

If this patch conflicts with "hg pull -u" one day,
you will just have to run the following, to trash
all local changes:

          hg -R $PLAN9 update -C

and apply an updated version of the patch.

This patch, that is just a hack, has been refused
at least for the following reasons: it is too
Acme-specific; it can require change to OS X
default conf.

* Re: [9fans] Summary of acme chords
@ 2012-04-25 21:58       ` Tom Lieber
From: Tom Lieber @ 2012-04-25 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 3:34 PM, andrey mirtchovski
<mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  http://alltom.com/files/misc/chords.png
>
> a suggestion?
>
> http://i.imgur.com/hjFJa.png

I like that. It'd probably work better if 'cut' and 'paste' didn't
have the same 'select' as their root, so the example for paste could
start empty, or with different text.

--

@ 2012-04-25 19:59         ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2012-04-25 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I really like this graphics and with the text they are even
> better.

i think it needs two lines of text per graph -- one for what's on
screen, one for the snarf buffer.

* Re: [9fans] Summary of acme chords
@ 2012-04-25 19:43         ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2012-04-25 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This is the way, Tom Lieber's graphic is really great, I agree.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dopu3ZtdCsg

The Hello world is confusing though :D

* Re: [9fans] Summary of acme chords
@ 2012-04-25 19:39       ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2012-04-25 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM, andrey mirtchovski
<mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  http://alltom.com/files/misc/chords.png
>
> a suggestion?
>
> http://i.imgur.com/hjFJa.png

I really like this graphics and with the text they are even
better.

G.

* Re: [9fans] Summary of acme chords
@ 2012-04-25 19:34     ` andrey mirtchovski
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2012-04-25 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2012-04-25 19:23     ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2012-04-25 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

plus I think the man page describes it quite well. IIRC.

--
using ipad keyboard. excuse any typos.

@ 2012-04-25 19:19   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2012-04-25 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2012-04-25 18:52     ` Tom Lieber
From: Tom Lieber @ 2012-04-25 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Tom Lieber <tom@alltom.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Brian Vito <brian.vito@gmail.com> wrote:
>> How would you put together the chart without any empty fees?
>
> This is how I've always visualized it:
>
>  http://alltom.com/files/misc/chords.png
>
> (incomplete because I ran out of time and had trouble interpreting the table :)

Just realized that despite my effort, I still typed "copy" instead of
"snarf." Ah, well.

--
Tom Lieber
http://AllTom.com/
http://infinite-sketchpad.com/

* Re: [9fans] Summary of acme chords
@ 2012-04-25 18:50   ` Tom Lieber
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Tom Lieber @ 2012-04-25 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2012-04-25 16:23           ` Yaroslav
From: Yaroslav @ 2012-04-25 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

not on the table: B2+B1 passes dot as arg to the cmd

* Re: [9fans] Summary of acme chords
@ 2012-04-25 16:17         ` sl
From: sl @ 2012-04-25 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> But how do Plan 9 users access this chart?
>
> hget -o acme_chords.pdf 'https://doc-0o-3g-docs.googleusercontent.com/docs/securesc/ha0ro937gcuc7l7deffksulhg5h7mbp1/pub48giqvrap6he53h3mtl8q9g5nlvid/1335369600000/05011244667098227595/*/0B1QVUS-qAuuienlTMHdRYkFzSHM'

Thank you.

-sl

* Re: [9fans] Summary of acme chords
@ 2012-04-25 16:11       ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2012-04-25 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2012-04-25 16:02     ` Gabriel Díaz López de la Llave
From: Gabriel Díaz López de la Llave @ 2012-04-25 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

A plan9 user already knows how to work with the mouse. The document is for non-plan9 users that want to become one, so there is no problem for them to access it, they will have a compatible browser. Also, if they  search the mail list (http://9fans.net/archive/) for information they will discover that some pieces of information are accesible from their current worlds.

Answering your question, I think there was someone who made the google client python program run under plan9. IIRC that tool was able to download documents or manage them somehow (https://developers.google.com/google-apps/spreadsheets/).

Also, 9front, a Plan9 variant developed by volunteers, includes (or can use) all the tools needed to run opera browser (linuxemu, x11, etc.), which probably can get to the document (http://code.google.com/p/plan9front/wiki/screenshots).

DP9IK knew this. It´s strange that you didn´t,  given your email address :P

gabi

PD: sorry for the http links, you might not be able to read them without javascript.

@ 2012-04-25 15:40 ` Brian Vito
From: Brian Vito @ 2012-04-25 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Apr 25, 7:26 am, 23h...@googlemail.com (hiro) wrote:
> When only half of the fields of your table have a meaning you're doing
> something wrong. And nobody wants to learn motoric motions from some
> stupid table.
> Things like select are too trivial for this and Snarf can be left out
> because essentially it's just the same as cutting and pasting
> together.
>
> Soon your pupils will ask you how you can cancel "select".

If you don't find it to be helpful, you could suggest a better way of
presenting the information, rather than referring to it as a "stupid"
table. How did you learn this information -- from a "stupid" textual
list?

* Re: [9fans] Summary of acme chords
@ 2012-04-25 15:29   ` sl
From: sl @ 2012-04-25 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2012-04-25 15:13 ` Brian Vito
From: Brian Vito @ 2012-04-25 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Apr 25, 7:26 am, 23h...@googlemail.com (hiro) wrote:
> When only half of the fields of your table have a meaning you're doing
> something wrong. And nobody wants to learn motoric motions from some
> stupid table.
> Things like select are too trivial for this and Snarf can be left out
> because essentially it's just the same as cutting and pasting
> together.
>
> Soon your pupils will ask you how you can cancel "select".

Thanks for the criticism. How would you put together the chart without
any empty fees? How do you suggest people learn motoric [sic] motions?
>From stupid list? And how would you suggest expressing that button 1,
rather than two or three, selects? And that button 3 searches? Select
isn't trivial when there are three buttons. And While you know that
snarf is a cut/paste, how did you learn that? This chart is meant for
people who don't already know all the commands.

@ 2012-04-25 12:26   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2012-04-25 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

When only half of the fields of your table have a meaning you're doing
something wrong. And nobody wants to learn motoric motions from some
stupid table.
Things like select are too trivial for this and Snarf can be left out
because essentially it's just the same as cutting and pasting
together.

Soon your pupils will ask you how you can cancel "select".

* Re: [9fans] Summary of acme chords
       [not found] <741343bf-2bab-4454-af43-976aa9605288@q13g2000vbd.googlegroups.co>
@ 2012-04-25 11:55 ` sl
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)