* [9fans] is there a distributed filesystem
@ 2012-01-20 14:54 dexen deVries
From: dexen deVries @ 2012-01-20 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi list,

is there a distributed filesystem from plan 9 that i could compile under p9p
and use on linux?

the problem at hand: i want a hot spare  DHCP server at my LAN; i'm currently
using dnsmasq. to achieve synchronization of leases i need to synchronize at
least one file between two servers. preferably a bunch of files -- both configs
and lease state.

cheers,
--
dexen deVries

[[[↓][→]]]

Any sufficiently large fragment of human activity contains an ad hoc,
informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow attempt at programming.
Corollary: including  programming ;)
((with apologies to Philip Greenspun))

* Re: [9fans] is there a distributed filesystem
@ 2012-01-20 15:07 ` Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2012-01-20 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> is there a distributed filesystem from plan 9 that i could compile under p9p
> and use on linux?
>
> the problem at hand: i want a hot spare  DHCP server at my LAN; i'm currently
> using dnsmasq. to achieve synchronization of leases i need to synchronize at
> least one file between two servers. preferably a bunch of files -- both configs
> and lease state.

It's not from Plan 9, but you could use Doozer, it was designed for
exactly this kind of thing: https://github.com/ha/doozerd . It's
basically Google Chubby for mortals. It's written in Go and it's
zero-config.

The client is a user space app, it doesn't interact with the Linux
VFS, so you need to script the doozer client to copy config files
where your servers require them.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] is there a distributed filesystem
@ 2012-01-21  3:23   ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2012-01-21  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> is there a distributed filesystem from plan 9 that i could compile under p9p
>> and use on linux?
>>
>> the problem at hand: i want a hot spare  DHCP server at my LAN; i'm currently
>> using dnsmasq. to achieve synchronization of leases i need to synchronize at
>> least one file between two servers. preferably a bunch of files -- both configs
>> and lease state.

Will srv(4)'ing the appropriate namespace from Plan 9 and
mounting it under p9p (or possibly vice versa, depending)
not work for you?

> It's not from Plan 9, but you could use Doozer, it was designed for
> exactly this kind of thing: https://github.com/ha/doozerd . It's
> basically Google Chubby for mortals. It's written in Go and it's
> zero-config.

Christ, what a name. Yeah, I bet Google's got a Chubby
for locks. Many, many locks.

ak