* [9fans] Plan 9/ARM port wishlist: ODROID-U3 or XU3
@ 2014-11-19 19:22 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2014-11-19 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

they're well made, priced right, and fast (e.g. compiling Go on linux on
rpi is *very* slow when compared with older odroid-u2 with the same config).

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9/ARM port wishlist: ODROID-U3 or XU3
@ 2014-11-19 19:35 ` minux
From: minux @ 2014-11-19 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM, Skip Tavakkolian
<skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com> wrote:
> they're well made, priced right, and fast (e.g. compiling Go on linux on rpi
> is *very* slow when compared with older odroid-u2 with the same config).
the problem is that samsung doesn't publish the datasheet for its processors
without NDA, so the only reference is linux and uboot source code.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9/ARM port wishlist: ODROID-U3 or XU3
@ 2014-11-19 21:06   ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2014-11-19 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Interesting. Looks based on an Exynos. I've already started kernel
support for this (I even have a booting kernel, though it is very much
a work in progress). Work has been hectic this year, so I haven't had
a chance to get back to it since February. I've posted the code
online, though nothing is documented and most of it is largely still
in my head.

https://code.google.com/p/9chrome/source/browse/#hg%2Fsys%2Fsrc%2F9%2Fexynos

FWIW, there was a fair bit of work done in 5[al] that's also contained
in this source tree.

Steve

@ 2014-11-20 22:13 ` Joshua Boyd
From: Joshua Boyd @ 2014-11-20 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 11:22:09AM -0800, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> they're well made, priced right, and fast (e.g. compiling Go on linux on
> rpi is *very* slow when compared with older odroid-u2 with the same config).

If I may come out of lurking for a suggestion, what about the
OLinuXino Allwinner based family family (prices from 30EUR to 65EUR)?
The Allwinner company isn't the most open source friendly, but
products based on their chips are widely available, and since there
are Linux, NetBSD, and FreeBSD ports (FreeBSD with less complete
support than NetBSD), it seems like it wasn't too hard for others to
figure out.

Alternatively, the Freescale iMX6 seems to be pretty open.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9/ARM port wishlist: ODROID-U3 or XU3
@ 2014-11-20 22:28   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2014-11-20 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

My wishlist: CuBox-i
Plan9 for Cubox-i
Video decoder stubs for Plan9 for Cubox-i.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9/ARM port wishlist: ODROID-U3 or XU3
@ 2014-11-20 23:06   ` Andrés Domínguez
From: Andrés Domínguez @ 2014-11-20 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs