* [9fans] FS for sharing between Linux and Plan 9
@ 2011-10-30 22:30 Jeremy Jackins
From: Jeremy Jackins @ 2011-10-30 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello, first off I'm new to this list and OS so I apologize for my
ignorance on many things.
I have an external HDD that I would like to use as a common backup and
synchronization point between a Linux machine and a Plan 9 machine.
Until recently I was using btrfs on this disk for the snapshot
support, and was only sharing it between Linux machines.

I like Fossil/Venti, but if I use this on the HDD I lose the ability
to take the disk outside of my home network and plug it into a Linux
machine (right?)
I could use something like FAT which is supported by everything but
then I lose the nice features of a modern file system like Fossil or
btrfs.

Is there an obvious solution which I am missing? My goal essentially
is to keep all my important files in this central location, easily
update it with new changes from machine A, then update machine B with
these changes. If something goes wrong, I would like to be able to
restore my files as they were at some (more or less) arbitrary point
in time to machine X. If possible I'd like to be able to unplug it and
move it around, maybe to somewhere where there isn't a Plan 9 machine.

Thanks,
Jeremy