* Re: [9fans] Welcome to the "9fans" mailing list
       [not found] <mailman.0.1406954533.16273.9fans@9fans.net>
@ 2014-08-02  4:42 ` Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2014-08-02  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I learned about plan9 a couple days ago, and I'm impressed. But I do have a
couple questions:

Where can I learn all the commands and all the important programs(editors,
compilers, etc)?
Does it use a microkernel?
Is it better than UNIX and Unix-like Os's? And How?
Would it be compatible with SATA drives?
Are there any more releases? Or was the last time it was updates 2002?
What is its development model?
Are there any new things that will be implemented in the OS?
Does it have a web browser?
How many languages does the compiler support?
What's distributed computing exactly?
Why isn't it so popular?

I hope these aren't too many questions. :).

@ 2014-08-02  4:48   ` sl
From: sl @ 2014-08-02  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I learned about plan9 a couple days ago, and I'm impressed. But I do have a
> couple questions:

A lot of information (a links to more) is collected here:

	http://code.google.com/p/plan9front/wiki/fqa

sl

* Re: [9fans] Welcome to the "9fans" mailing list
@ 2014-08-06  0:14   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2014-08-06  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> You must know your password to change your options (including changing
>> the password, itself) or to unsubscribe.  It is:
>>
>>   3224522

please change your password for this mailing list. this one is out in public.

i hope you aren't reusing passwords.

* Re: [9fans] Welcome to the "9fans" mailing list
@ 2014-08-06  3:16     ` Nick LaForge
From: Nick LaForge @ 2014-08-06  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

And, today especially, that advice applies to everybody:

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_26281956/record-breaking-data-breach-highlights-widespread-security-flaws

@ 2014-08-13  7:29       ` John Francis Lee
From: John Francis Lee @ 2014-08-13  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The reason things are so insecure is because the US government likes it that way, desinged it that way and does everything it can to keep it that way. They are the beyond a doubt the biggest gang of organized criminals on earth : liars, murderers, spies ... you name it.

Thanks for welcoming me to the list ... but I see you use google yourself ... second only to the US government as spies ... soon to surpass, I'm sure. I use yahoo trash mail for the list because I'd like to keep my 'real' email address to myself (when I find one). You deliver all your correspondents's mail to the googleplex along with your own. You have a choice ... but you foreclose your correspondents' ... if they want to correspond with you. Google has it all.

--
"This message has been intercepted and read by U.S. government agencies including the FBI, CIA, and NSA without notice or warrant or knowledge of sender or recipient."

John Francis Lee
246/3 Thanon Kaew Wai
T.Ropwiang A.Mueang J.Chiangrai 57000
Thailand

 And, today

@ 2014-08-13  7:37         ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-08-13  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You should amend that "This message has been intercepted and read by U.S.
government agencies including the FBI, CIA, and NSA without notice or
warrant or knowledge of sender or recipient." with something about shadowy
Goggle like computers feltching information on your spending habits...

"The world changed on us Marty - and without our help, I might add..."

@ 2014-08-13  7:44           ` John Francis Lee

  Date: Wednesday, August 6, 2014, 10:16 AM

@ 2014-08-13  8:20             ` Nick LaForge
From: Nick LaForge @ 2014-08-13  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The last two comments on this page might be of interest:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7640937

(I found that simply by searching using the 'site' operator on Google:
"site:news.ycombinator.com maidsafe" news.ycombinator.com is a good
place to read about a given startup.)

@ 2014-08-13  8:22               ` Nick LaForge
From: Nick LaForge @ 2014-08-13  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Please ignore my last message.  It was intended for an entirely
different email thread.  How embarrassing.  (At least the SnR was
pretty low to begin with.)