* [9fans] Change font in Abaco
@ 2014-11-08 21:46 Mats Olsson
From: Mats Olsson @ 2014-11-08 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi guys!

I've tried multiple ways to change the font in Abaco but failed. It
seems to be compiled in. Is there a way to change the font in Abaco.
Would really appreciate some help.

Greetings,
Mats

* Re: [9fans] Change font in Abaco
@ 2014-11-08 21:57 ` Lee Fallat
From: Lee Fallat @ 2014-11-08 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM, Mats Olsson <plan9.meo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys!
>
> I've tried multiple ways to change the font in Abaco but failed. It
> seems to be compiled in. Is there a way to change the font in Abaco.
> Would really appreciate some help.
>
> Greetings,
> Mats

Yeah, they're compiled in. The font paths are located at the start of
abaco's main.c.

Maybe your emails will prompt someone to take action and integrate
$font/$font2 environment variables into a bunch of Plan 9 programs.

Good luck,

Lee

* Re: [9fans] Change font in Abaco
@ 2014-11-08 23:07   ` Mats Olsson
From: Mats Olsson @ 2014-11-08 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks for confirming Lee I appreciate that! And who knows, things happen.

@ 2014-11-09  0:38     ` sl
From: sl @ 2014-11-09  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've tried multiple ways to change the font in Abaco but failed.

Check out the example file /sys/src/cmd/abaco/abaco.fonts. Copy this to
$home/lib and edit it to suit.

sl

* Re: [9fans] Change font in Abaco
@ 2014-11-09  2:03 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-11-09  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat Nov  8 16:45:57 EST 2014, plan9.meo@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi guys!
>
> I've tried multiple ways to change the font in Abaco but failed. It
> seems to be compiled in. Is there a way to change the font in Abaco.
> Would really appreciate some help.

i have taken a little different direction on "fonts" in abaco.
i think what one wishes to specify is the typeface.  so we need
to specify twenty fonts in the product of five point sizes and
four weight/styles (roman, italic, bold, and typewriter).

i put these in an external file in /lib/font/bit/htmlfont (sic).
there are twenty entries, for example for the "t"iny "r"oman
entry for lucida,

tr	/lib/font/bit/lucidasans/unicode.6.font

to switch fonts just set htmlfont=/lib/font/bit/htmlfont/vera
before running readweb.  easy peasy.

the face files, version of abaco supporting them, and the
version of readweb that has been modified to support this

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Change font in Abaco
@ 2014-11-09  2:18   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-11-09  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> the face files, version of abaco supporting them, and the
> version of readweb that has been modified to support this

are in 9atom.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Change font in Abaco
@ 2014-11-11  9:39     ` Mats Olsson
From: Mats Olsson @ 2014-11-11  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi sl!

Thanks for your answer regarding fonts in Abaco. I tried with the
fonts already installed and that works with some. Then I installed
contrib and via contrib vera but Abaco can't find them. I've looked
around and saw a mention of fontsrv. Is that application needed to
update a fontcache (you can tell I'm a linux user) or something to get
all the fonts available? Vera fonts work from scratch in Rio and Acme
but not in Abaco. Any hint would be very appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Mats

@ 2006-07-13 20:30     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-07-13 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: csant, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> It would be easier if it'd be possible to override at least the UI font
> with a -f switch. I also have been wondering about why acme doesn't
> respect $font by default.

because acme's default font is variable-width and $font's default is not.

* Re: [9fans] Change font in Abaco
@ 2006-07-13 20:20   ` Federico Benavento
From: Federico Benavento @ 2006-07-13 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 7/13/06, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
> i wondered that myself yesterday. and checked the source: the font
> paths are hardcoded in util.c.
>
> for links i used a set of environment variables which, when defined,
> would point to different fonts, but this may not work for abaco: i
> have no idea if its rendering is tied to particular font sizes.

no, it's not tied, you can use any font you like, just edit the array.
I used to use vera fonts with a bigger size, but they are not in the
standard distribution, so abaco uses the standards fonts.

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] Change font in Abaco
@ 2006-07-13 20:19   ` csant
From: csant @ 2006-07-13 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Is there a way to change font in abaco? It doesn't respect $font, but
>> there doesn't seem to be a -f command line switch either.
>> /c
>>
> yes, edit the source.
>
> fontnames[] in main.c // passwd and tag fonts
> fontpaths[] in util.c // page content's fonts

Neat, thank you.

@ 2006-07-13 20:11 ` Federico Benavento
From: Federico Benavento @ 2006-07-13 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: csant, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-07-13 20:10 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2006-07-13 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: csant, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i wondered that myself yesterday. and checked the source: the font
paths are hardcoded in util.c.

for links i used a set of environment variables which, when defined,
would point to different fonts, but this may not work for abaco: i
have no idea if its rendering is tied to particular font sizes.

On 7/13/06, csant <csant@csant.info> wrote:
> Is there a way to change font in abaco? It doesn't respect $font, but
> there doesn't seem to be a -f command line switch either.
> /c

* [9fans] Change font in Abaco
@ 2006-07-13 20:05 csant
From: csant @ 2006-07-13 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)