* [9fans] Reviving Old Hardware.
@ 2014-11-09 22:34 Mats Olsson
From: Mats Olsson @ 2014-11-09 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi guys,

Talking about digital archaeology. I tried to install Plan 9 from a cd
on my Dell 500H (something). That laptop came with an attachable
floppy drive, cd rom and a cdrw but it was as I remembered the drives
are all dead but the machine is loaded with Watt OS 5. A linux distro
that has a pretty small footprint as regards to memory. Originally it
had a whooping 128 MB of RAM and I installed another 128 MB RAM
module so it has now 256 MB of ram. The CPU is a Pentium III and it
has worked faitfully and hard for many years. It was the top of the line
of it's time It would be nice to install Plan 9 on it but the only way into
the machine now it ethernet. Would that bepossible? (I guess so but
I haven't found any docs on it) My prior concern is that it has a PCMCIA
ethernet card (cardbut) So, then if ever possible how? If you have any
ideas I would be delighted to hear since it's a shame that a so wellbuilt
laptop should just be lying there unused.

Yours Truly,
Mats

Mats

only message in thread, other threads:[~2014-11-09 22:34 UTC | newest]