From: Dan Cross <crossd@gmail.com>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] ARM hardware and SATA
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 12:38:32 +0530	[thread overview]

Google invests heavily into basic computer science reseach, and Google
researchers are well represented at respected conferences and in high
impact journals in their subfields. So yes, one can do 'actual "research"
projects' at Google. We have an entire research organization doing just
that, often in collaboration with academia: https://research.google/

However, not everyone working on experimental projects at Google is doing
what one might call "research". For some, such as myself, the line can be
blurry, but I'm firmly in a development camp, as are most people I know. To
put it succinctly for me, as for many others, the job isn't to publish
papers or present results, it's to write software of value to Google.
However, we have considerable latitude to investigate new and innovative
ways of writing that software.

Of course, that also entails taking lessons learned from systems outside of
the mainstream.

It's true that Barret still works on Akaros: it was his PhD thesis topic.
However, Google is no longer investing in it directly.

        - Dan C.